1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 150-500mm

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by scotjames, Oct 1, 2011.

1. scotjames

scotjames Member

Does anybody have any experience of using one of these on a Pentax body? I was considering getting one for my K5 as I like to do wildlife (mainly bird) photography in the local area. I don't think I'd use it a huge amount, but I really fancy being able to get much closer than my current 70-300 allows.

Any views on this lens? I can get it for a fairly good price just now so I am tempted (£600).

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Try this thread on the Birdforum website. And, do checkout the linked summary report.

3. Oggy

Oggy RIP

I have one on my K20 which I used for birds and aircraft before adding Canon to my range.

It is not particularly sharp at 500mm wide open, but if you stop it down to F9 or 10, it starts to work very well and can produce very good images. This combined with it's focal length makes it a bit light hungry.

It is quite heavy (2Kg) but the tripod ring doubles as a full sized handle which makes it fairly easy to carry. Other lens manufacturers should learn from this.

Then there's the price. At £600 from the top people at SRS Microsystems you will not get anything like that much bang for your buck with any other lens.

I strongly recommend it.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Ross,

I have a K-5 customer who was in a similar predicament ... and it was narrowed
    down to the Sigma 120-400 (the least expensive, the fastest 5.6, the shortest focal length), the Sigma 150-500 (second least expensive, tied for slowest at the long end f6.3 ) and 50-500 (by far, the most expensive, tied for slowest at the long end f/6.3 and biggest range and lens)

We spent (more than) a few months discussing it and he tried them out at a few different shops -- it never dawned on me to try get a demo lens from the rep :( --and then there was a special from the distributor and that along with my bosses and I) fondness for nice pricing ... we pretty much made it impossible for him to resist:roll eyes:. Of course, when we received it .... it wouldn't focus :eek::eek:
    so we sent it back pronto and we had another one within a week and it worked like a charm and that was back in April and he's been happy since :)

All the best and let us (AP) know how it goes -- and if you take your time in purchasing ... lenses do come with International warranties, albeit one year.

Cheers,

Jack

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

I have the older 170-500 sigma lens and it's superb. The picture quality at higher ISO speeds on the K5 really let you push the ISO higher which let you hand hold if you need.

I've used it at airshows, birds, animals, etc and found it a great (secondhand) purchase.... :eek:

A couple of quick examples:

Dragonfly in flight, taken at 500mm
    [​IMG]

Red Arrows at Eastbourne this year (around 400mm).
    [​IMG]

RAIT airshow.
    [​IMG]

Any other queries don't hesitate to ask.

Gary

6. Done_rundleCams

Re: Sigma 150-500mm // scotjames

I daresay; "nuff said" .... well done Gary
    and Ross, you might have to hit the used market ;).
    And, speaking of the used market (and Scotland) Ffordes
    has a shop in a placed called "Beauly" .. see below:

>Ffordes is now located in a restored former Free Church which is also where its sister company is located Beauly Gallery and Gifts Ltd, a lovely coffee shop, gift shop and gallery.<

CLICK HERE for Ffordes

and if you wanna see a whole lotta camera shops in the UK, courtesy of our (AP Forums) very own PaulatUKCamera ... CLICK HERE

Cheers,

Jack

Cheers,

Jack

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Would the 150-500 be better than my Sigma 100-300 f/4 with the 1.4 tc fitted (makes it 420 and 630 with the crop factor), which gives f/5.6. so still autofocusses? I appreciate it is a bit shorter.

See the deer on my Flickr site for an example.

8. Done_rundleCams

The Sigma 100-300/4 is an amazingly sharp lens -- perhaps why is costs
    more than the 500mm zooms :eek: -- and, even with the TC1.4, faster (aperture
    wise) and, possibly, AF wise, as well. But,sadly,not listed in our Sigma price
    pages, as of August 2011:eek:.

Cheers,

jack

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Re: Sigma 100-300 f/4

Yes, I bought it three years ago now and it is still one of my favourite lenses.