1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sickening and getting worse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Col. Hogan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. georgie

georgie Well-Known Member

Well it's 1.08 euro here = .72p----get rid of blair !

On the Yanks, well if they all drove Mini's tomorrow it still wouldnt make any difference as 1.2 billion Chinese and 1 Billion Indians all want a car, thats equal to 9 times the population of America and i dont think the Chinese and Indians will listen to anybody who tells them they cant have a car--do you?

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Because thousands of people appear to have perished in the disaster that has hit Louisiana and Mississippi? Because tens of thousands are still trapped in festering conditions with inadequate water and food supplies and dead bodies lying in the streets, their homes and former lives destroyed by the hurricane and the storm surge that accompanied it? Because untold tens of thousands of civilians have died in Iraq through first 'Shock and Awe', and the subsequent and hideously predictable campaign of bombings and shootings by various factions, including those who see some sort of justice in kidnapping aid workers and slowly sawing their heads off with butchers' knives? Because suicide bombing has now come to the streets and underground system of Britain's capital city? Because the Greenland icecap is now melting at an unprecedented rate, threatening to raise sea-level high enough to wipe out entire countries? Because weather patterns appear to be already changing at an alarming rate - including the frequency and ferocity of these hurricanes in the Caribbean that cause so much damage and loss of life in the southern USA?

Gosh, I don't know - 'deep and heavy' just seems like an appropriate response somehow.

3. georgie

I knew a manic depressive once, you couldnt say anything without him taking it all the wrong way, ---He rescued and rebuilt and showed an old 1940's lorry, lovely it was, he hung himself of the trailor board one night cause he was fed up, not a pretty sight. I once got threatened with the sack for having a frivilous attitude--I prefer to be me.

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I prefer people - especially big powerful nations - to think seriously about the consequences of their actions and respect the rights of the rest of the world's population. Let's hope the next natural disaster or Bush-Blair foreign policy initiative doesn't rip the heart out of your town/life/friends/family/future.

5. georgie

S do i but i am not really disagreeing with your later posts, but the words are easy and in one of my previous posts i mentioned other countries which will do the same.

Point is is far far far to late and we will all just have to ride the fourthcoming storm----my answer is to get out there an photograph it before it all goes!--- and then if anybodies left we can bore the pants off them with pics of the good old days when it was all fields round here

6. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Getting back for a moment to the earlier sentiments of this thread, I think what has surprised and angered Diane in the US, and those of us in the rest of the world, is the lack of immediate help to the poor people trapped in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Surprised, because we perhaps imagined that America had the intent and resources to do the job as quickly and efficiently as was logistically possible. Angered, because somehow the US was demonstrating strange priorities after the onset of this disaster, and perhaps before.

But there are just too many contradictions going on. Today President Bush said that the US has plenty of resources to both fight his 'war on terrorism' and to deal with this crisis. So why the delay? Why the contradiction that the wealthier people (mostly white) were able to move out and avoid the consequences of this disaster, but no provision was made for those without vehicles of their own or without enough money (who are/were predominantly black)?

Recent climate changes have been more dramatic and sudden than evidence suggests has happened at any time in the last 500,000 years. Even Bush admitted, before the last G8 conference, that these climate changes were to a degree due to fossil fuel burning and CO2 emissions. Yet he blocked development on reducing CO2 emissions at the G8 conference itself. Another contradiction.

The biggest emitter of CO2 also happens to be the wealthiest country in the world, and by chance, one that is more likely to suffer the consequences of global warming than most.

A country which is seen to spare no expense in its 'war on terrorism' in a foreign country which had no links to the terrorism to which it was referring, seemed to be singularly inept at preventing much of the human suffering in its own backyard, or instigating resources and aid to its own citizens caught up in this mess.

We have seen pictures of President Bush hugging refugees in Gulfport today, yet his election campaigns were funded by companies who are responsible in a large part for the huge emissions of CO2 from America.

Just a few too many contradictions altogether.

7. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Point taken, what is need is investment in plants producing cars powered by hydrogen or electricity for the up and comming chinese and indian markets.

While the oil barons rule the world this has a snowball in hell's chance of happening.

8. georgie

Clive--Bush cant block anything, every other country in the world can carry on with whatever without America, all Bush did was not sign up America to the treaty, he HAS NOT stopped others from doing anything

9. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Not quite, Georgie. He cannot stop and has not stopped those countries agreeing to the Kyoto Treaty from going ahead. However, at Gleneagles he did block an agreement by the G8 countries to a combined effort on their part.

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Only in the most literal sense of those words, but in practice - i.e. in terms of economic reality - it's a different matter. The Kyoto provisions have economic costs for industry - the costs of power, transport, and so on. If all developed countries implement measures to cut emissions then the costs are faced by all, but if the single biggest player in the global marketplace is alone in refusing to implement them then it gains an economic advantage over the other others as competitors, simply because its costs are now relatively lower than previously.

It's like this - if you and I both supply eggs to the local market, then provided we both agree about improved hygeine standards, or better conditions for the hens, or something like that, then the existing balance between us as competitors can remain unchanged, even though both of us face increased costs. But if you implement the improvements, whilst I refuse to, then your costs go up and mine remain the same. That means I can now undercut your prices and corner the market, possibly even driving you out of business. The bottom line is if I don't accept the increased costs, you are economically pressured not to as well, even though in theory you have every right to go ahead with the improvements anyway.

As it is the rest of the world is indeed still pressing ahead with the Kyoto provisions - at least in theory - actual achievements seem to be fairly minimal. The US finally coming alongside instead of opposing concerted international action on emissions would have a huge impact on what could be achieved. Currently the US is responsible for something like 36% of global carbon dioxide emissions, despite having less than 5% of the world's population.

11. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

and there was I thinking this forum is about photography just goes to show I know nothing

12. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

I think one soundbite that moved me was a reporter speaking to a person in the big staduim in New Orleans, she said"people feel get very scared at night becuase it becomes very dark" .When I was in the forces, I was part of a an aircrash/disaster aid team and very often we'd be amongst devestation, using our skills and instincts to get by, its then that the very old part of human nature,like vigilance during hours of darkness, becomes acute. All my thoughts go out to the scared and vunerable people there.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Diane,

I think the saddest thing I have seen was thing on CNN this (Sept 2nd) morning when Bush arrived in Mobile, Alabama before going to New Orleans and before going into his speech he allowed all the (Republican) governors to go on about what they were going to do and a few members of Armed Forces to do the same thing :D :(. But, what amazed me most :eek:, was that the CNN presenter went on to say, and I am paraphrasing, "how she thought that it was completely preposterous to have 20 minutes of compaigning before actually talking about the problem at hand and saying what was going to be done to help the people".

Truly a very sad time and I very glad your friends in Mobile got away relatively unscathed.

Cheers,

Jack

14. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Hi Jack,
    I agree, though I didn't see that speech.

I got an email from my friend and things in Mobile are improving. She said that the university where she teaches will be taking in students displaced from universities in Louisiana.

15. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Thank you Clive. This was indeed my whole reason for posting this thread in the first place.

16. 0

0 Guest

Well, that "someone" is the UK government, which takes about 75% of what you pay for your petrol at the pumps. Still, it does mean that they've got plenty of cash to pay for their first class travel round the world, and waste in "modernising" the NHS (to make us healthy? Huh?).

17. 0

0 Guest

It'll happen after Bush has launched his War Against Water - after all, that's what's causing the problem, isn't it? :D

18. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

He'll proberly blame Bin Ladden for the weather

19. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This is the Lounge - it's our 'anything goes' forum. It's our place for all sorts of discussions, whether photographic or not.

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Very true HuW,

And speaking of non photographic discussions; how is your Mom?

:)

Jack