1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sickening and getting worse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Col. Hogan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tommyhashbrown

tommyhashbrown Well-Known Member

yeah, isn't is hilarious to watch the poverty stricken and mostly black people (where obesity is an epidemic due to poor education and the easy availablity of cheap but poor quality food)of the region starving hungry!

Hopefully they'll start to die soon and give us all a chuckle as we sit in our nice houses where we haven't lost everything that we own and possibly loved ones too.

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You need to brush up on your English comprehension skills - that is a grotesque misrepresentation of what I said.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

At least they have their priorities right when they take police off rescue duties to deal with the looting.......... (that IS sarcasm btw)

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

3rd world, 1st or second. These people are homeless refugees in their own country, the richest country the world has ever seen. On BBC there has just been a reporter who was reporting from the tsunami area last December. Though the scales of the disaster might not be the same, he said that relief to the area of the Pacific he was in came quicker than the felief that still has not happened in this part of the US where he is now.

Like it's five days now, and there are dead bodioes lying among the survivors with no signs of relief. Perhaps if the United States put less effort into adventuristic wars on the other side of the world and more into looking after the pooorer sections of its own society it would have more credibility.

Bush should be impeached for this, or at least hung drawn and quartered.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Far too good for him and his administration Clive. And to think these same numb skulls have taken it upon themselves to put the World to rights.

6. tommyhashbrown

Well I just thought it was a bit off to comment about the irony of overweight people who are starving hungry complaining about not having about any food.

I will point out that I wasn't implying racism on your part Huw (which is of course not the case), merely that this does seem to be a 'black' problem due to the poor mobility and income of black people in that part of the US compared to white people - so apologies if that sounded like what I was saying.

What are these people supposed to do? Have a stuff upper lip and grin and bear it?

Any my English comprehension skills are fine thankyou very much, so no need to patronise me.

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I completely agree - I'm no fan of JFK, but the man could deliver a great speech, and I'm put in mind of some words from his 1963 address at the graduation ceremony at the American University -

I don't know how sincerely those fine thoughts were held then, either by Kennedy himself, or the American people, but the last four decades haven't left me too convinced. 9/11 was one terrible wake-up call to the US. This is another, albeit of a totally different kind. If it hadn't happened now, I dare say it would have happened sooner or later, and I can't help but feel that America would have been vastly better prepared to deal with such a disaster if the whole of its national psyche didn't seem to be geared towards the assumption of its absolute supremacy and invulnerability. A little more true humility on the world stage and things might be very different when trouble strikes at home.

8. tommyhashbrown

Totally agree Huw (hang on, wasn't I disagreeing with you a second ago?)

and it's hostile foreign policy has cost so much, it has no money left for it's domestic policy...

9. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering.

Will they ask the sick and injured that have been rescued whether they hold health insurance before commencing treatment?

10. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

At this point one wonders about the implications of non-compliance with the ideals of the Kyoto agreement

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Lets watch for the "War Against Global Warming"......we will wait a long time....

Graeme

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, I'm still not entirely convinced that you did grasp what I was saying:

Beats me! The whole situation is quite dreadful, and I dare say things are going to get worse before they get better. But any way you look at it there's a mess of contradictions in all this - the USA is the richest country on earth, and yet it seems it can't organise the necessary transport to get supplies in, or to get the people out. It can assemble half a million military personnel with ships, tanks, fighter bombers, and ordnance thousands of miles away to fight a war against a regime that wasn't threatening it, and yet it can't evacuate a devastated city in its own back yard. It apparently faces some of the greatest threats from global warming and consequent climate change of any country on earth, yet it carries on its gas-guzzling way, head in sand, one of the biggest contributors to the problem, whilst blocking even the most meagre efforts of the rest of the world to do anything about it.

The sight of the now trapped people, some of them clearly amongst the most over-fed of this world (though I think the Floridians are more notorious for it than the poor of New Orleans), suddenly becoming destitute even of crust of bread in the land of TV dinners, fast food, the Big Mac and fries, and all the rest of it, was just one more gross twist in the whole thing. That was what I described as 'darkly ironic', and surely it is. No 'hilarity', no 'chuckling', no 'hoping they'll die soon' - just an astonished sense of the perversity of the whole sorry state of affairs.

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

and just to make things simple...the crazy gun laws mean that they are all armed to the teeth. Half of them are fighting to protect there property while the other half are fighting for survival. I have always that the USA is only a hort step away from a third civil war, it wouldnt take much to tip it over the edge....

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, okay - let's bury it! :) I don't think there was any real disagreement - just crossed wires, maybe.

15. georgie

georgie Well-Known Member

I am amazed, i am far from perfect but i just read all this about a disaster where 10,000 people died? and each one of you either says serve em self right for invading Iraq or being fat or for having the money to spend their money on what they want like a fuel guzzling car.

Of course none of you have ever wasted your money on wastefull journey's or have ever eaten more than what you should have and are a perfect specimen

Whatever happened to sex drugs and rocknroll?

16. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Georgie,

I don't think they're saying that. What they're saying is that how can the worlds richest country let something like this happen.

No one has said they deserved it.

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Hmmmm. Let's see now:

Our response has been to consider some of the real problems with US foreign and domestic policy and their consequences for the world and humanity in particular, including the apparent mismanagement of this present crisis, which may very well have been responsible for a large proportion of those 10000 (so far estimated) deaths.

And your response is,

I think I'll stick with the discussion as it is, thanks very much.

18. georgie

Well if i have it wrong then i am sorry but this post for example, a few things here, and i aint sticking up for any American as i am British.

America doesnt block anybody from doing anything, the rest of the world can walk everywhere if they want nothing is stopping them from doing it.

They drive fuel guzzling cars-- well its their money and mostly their oil, true this can affect other countries so ok they grow rape and grain solely for use as fuel which equals no pollution or green house gasses---the result would be a collapse in the world oil price, unrest in those oil producing countries and half the third world starving as American and Canadian grain feeds those places when it is dumped on the open market which cause third word farmers to lose out etc etc etc etc etc etc

Point is they cant win whatever they do, but in disasters of a natural kind people dont deserve to die or anything like that just because they are fat, and if some country or people came on your doorstep telling you what you must do with your wages i am sure you would tell them where to go

19. georgie

20. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should come here and pay our prices. I saw 99.9p a litre (£4.50? a gallon) the other day. Who had the thread about rip off Britian? Its not the shop staff who are making money at the prices we have to pay, but someone is on a "nice little earner". I know its the law of supply and demand and it aint going to happen that everyone will stop buying fuel until the price gets back to say 75p/l, but I would not be surprised if there were some form of protest if the price goes any higher.

As for the kick in the arse, I think that the USA should consider this a wake up call from Mother Earth, saying "You carry on polluting you will get much more of this".