1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sickening and getting worse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Col. Hogan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I am thoroughly sickened by what has been happening in New Orleans here after hurricane Katrina went through last weekend. I don't quite know what else to say, but people are literally dying in the streets of starvation and what do I read about the authorities doing? Seemingly nothing! They claim that they can't get in there because of 'security concerns' and worse, there are people stranded at a convention center (who went there because officials told them to) and no help has arrived and yesterday the f@#king President said on national tv that the federal authorities 'didn't know' these people were there. HOW CAN THEY NOT KNOW?!! There have been pictures broadcast by some news agencies. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Sorry, but I needed to vent.

2. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Vent away Diane.

We have been reading about here. It has also been on the TV News. Makes me wonder , if all those poor people had been white would things have been handled differently.

Sorry but it is a simple observation from the TV news.

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

It is probably unfair of me to say this, since I know only what I have seen in the newspapers and on television, but from where I am sitting, the richest and most powerful nation on earth is looking rather pathetically inept at present.

Sorry Diane . . . . . :D

4. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

We're all with you on this point. It's just pathetic what's happening over there. Disgrace to the richest nation in the world.

5. Col. Hogan

I have wondered the same thing Steve.

6. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

If we from different places have noted it . Surely others will have noticed it too.

I see that that congress is holding up funds to help in the releif. Playing politics in such circumstances is not a very good thing. I believe Clinton something similer during a recent interview.

7. Col. Hogan

No problem Chris, I agree with you. I just can't understand why these people aren't being removed or for that matter, why they weren't removed prior to the storm. There was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans. I know that these people said that they couldn't afford to leave, but if the officials cared so much, then why weren't they trying to get people out beforehand? :mad:

My best friend lives in Mobile, Alabama, which is about an hour or two east of New Orleans and they live up in the hills so did not evacuate when the hurricane went through. They lost power for a couple of days, but were not affected by flooding in that city.

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

And as if things weren't bad enough, just read this on the BBC site

Alan.

9. tommyhashbrown

tommyhashbrown Well-Known Member

It does seem to be a feature of the USA that people only take notice of wider problems when

a)bodies are falling from the sky

b)bodies are swirling around outside McDonalds

c)the price of petrol goes up

Hopefully this will provide some sort of kick up the arse for them in the long run, once they've stopped screaming about 'gas' going up to $3.29 a gallon this week.

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

The latest news (though it's not shown on the BBC News website yet) is that it's not as bad as they feared - turns out just to be a blaze at a paint factory.

11. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

On top of every thing else that is still bad. But not to wory only the poor dispossed there. Not as if it is rich white folks that are in any trouble is it.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Judging from the news on telly last night it looks like colour doesn't come into it as many if not most of the people interviewed in Biloxi and Gulfport were white. Perhaps it's more a case of if your poor they don't care........

It's inevitable that any natural disaster will hamper any rescue and remedial efforts but that does at least assume some are being made. On the other hand TV and press crews are notorious for eschewing any positive reporting when there is a spot of President bashing on the cards.

I'm not actually sure the wealth of the USA really comes into the equation other than as a demonstration of how technology dependent US society is and how bad things can be when it's gone. An area the size if Britain (if the reports are true) has been devastated, this means roads destroyed or made impassable, bridges washed away or made unsafe, railways suffer equally of course and doubtless many if not most airfields are unusable. Inevitably much of the remedial activity is going to have to start at the periphery of the disaster zone and move inwards which sadly takes time.

The apparent problem here is that the Emergency plans seem not to be very effective and no consideration has been made for urgent short term relief. From this side of the pond most of the emergency action plan seems to have been aimed at evacuation of the population rather than on the minimisation of damage and amelioration of immediate hardship.

If, as was being intimated on the media, federal funding was diverted from disaster prevention/management to the assault on Iraq and it's disastrous aftermath then President Puppet has got some explaining to do....

13. Dave_F

Dave_F New Member

The American desaster is terrible and I feel sorry for the people involved but I can not understand how people are dieing of starvation after only 4 days. Certainly the coverment should have acted more quickly.may be if there was less looting and more helping one another as in the last major desaster it would be better for everyone

14. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Do you know what gets to me most of all about this?

Watch Bush when he's being interviewed about what's happend/happening.

He's grinning, or rather trying not to grin and failing.

When the interviewer is talking and between Bushs' comments he's trying not to break into a face wide smile.

It's disgusting.

I heard someone today on the train say: "They knew what he was like when they voted him in for a second time."

15. tommyhashbrown

tommyhashbrown Well-Known Member

Dave_F - I don't think people are starting to die of hunger after 4 days, they are just hungry and desperate. I think I'd be looting the local shop if I hadn't eaten for that period of time and nobody was helping me.

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, that struck me too - and it's not new. I've noticed that before when he's talking about things like this - whether it's people being killed in their hundreds and thousands in Iraq, or the tsunami, or now New Orleans, he really doesn't seem to know when to wipe off that sickly defensive grin and look suitably ashen-faced. For a powerful world leader it is really, really not good.

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I think fresh drinking water is probably a bigger problem than food - a few days without adequate fluids in a hot and humid climate can easily be enough to finish off any who are already weak through age or illness.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm rather sorry to say that when the victims, unfortunate though they are, started complaining of hunger I did feel they ought to think themselves lucky they're not in the those parts of the 3rd world where that feeling is permanent...... :(

I also found myself thinking "now they know how it feels........"

:(

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I was also a little surprised that this problem occurred so soon but then I guess between pre-Katrina panic buying and the modern prediliction for just-in-time stock control It's quite possible there's very little stock in the shops - obviously it's mainly tinned goods I'm thinking of, fresh, frozen and cardboard packs wouldn't really survive the battering anyway.

20. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, not that I can boast, but there is something darkly ironic in seeing people who look like they've eaten five square meals a day in McDonalds since the moment they were off the breast complaining about a lack of food. :-|