1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shutter release....

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Britcat100, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Britcat100

Britcat100 Active Member

Good afternoon all!
    If you're not out there shooting film like a madman (or woman...gotta keep it pc) then welcome to the world of being at work...dull...dull...dull....Anyway I've got a question, at the moment I've got a Nikon F80 (nice camera..still working it out, but a nice camera all the same) and I want a shutter release but what I want to know is - is there a remote shutter release that I can buy instead of a manual one (the one with the wire thats not as long as my arm) and if so whats it called, how much does it cost, etc, etc, etc..
    Answers much appreciated unless you can think of something that should merit my attention more!
    Thanks a bundle
    Niall

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

If I have this right, you want a cable release but an electronic one rather than the far cheaper and just as good mechanical one that Nikon nicely provided a socket for?

Or are you after a true remote release (ie IR or radio controlled)? Whatever the case the answer should be at back of the users manual in the accessories section. Please don't tell me you don't have the manual !! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Prices:
    mechanical cable release will be anywhere from under £10 to about £15
    Nikon's electronic release is somewhere in the region of £60 to £70!!
    An IR release will likely set you back a couple of 100's.

You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live.

3. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

.....jessops do an air release job, 20 feet long, for £9.99...they also do AF 2-stage electronic releases for Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Minolta and Pentax for £19.99. Why not pick up a catalogue...or log on to www.jessops.co.uk ?

perks

4. Soloist

Soloist Well-Known Member

Tim
    I think you know more about Nikon than Nikon!
    Sal (Just learning about Nikon!)

5. TimF

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

If I knew as much about Leitz as Slimey, then I'd be happy!!

6. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

...all you need to know is how to spell 'google'....it can make anybody an instant expert...

perks

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

....cept that Slimey knows even more than google does about Leica cause he literally "wrote the book" on them.

BigWill

8. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

...Mmmmm.....most authoritive book i've seen on leica is 'the leica way' written by chap called andrew matheson.....and google will find you 930,000 leica references within 0.6 of a second.....as usual,will, you are full of b/s....Ooops...here we go again.....

perks

9. TimF

For use I'd just about agree with you on Matheson, though Jonathan Eastland's books on the M cameras are close, and more up to date. For identifying odds and ends of the truly VAST Leica system (especially for the L39 cameras) though, it has to be Laney's Collector's Guide till I see better.

Aside from finding specific web sites I didn't know the URL of, to date I've never used Google for Leica info gathering.

10. BigWill

Oh dear!

BigWill

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Don't start again, please Jon. Are you incapable of coming to this site without trying to be downright rude to someone? Try developing a sense of humour. It mightr stand you in good stead....

Nick BSRIPN

12. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

geez,someone finally produces a camera with a real cable release socket and Niall wants a remote release thingy.Id love the F80 just for the cable release,a lot easier to use than a remote jobby,and in the case of canons cameras Id have to say they made a boo boo with their socket,you know that tiny easily lost remote socket cover.

click,whirr,we got our scanner working!
    Larry AKA Boz

13. BigWill

Canon aren't alone in producing those "easily lost" socket covers. My Olympus OM2SP sports just such an easily lost TTL flash socket cover and I think quite a few Nikons sport similar "footery" little covers which always seem to go astray and are virtually impossible to replace.

BigWill

14. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

nick....perhaps it's you that's lacking the sense of humour....anyone taking me seriously really is a saddo....my comment to Will was...err...a compliment..wasn't it...?.....his post was, after all, pure b/s...so just 'who' started it...?.....mind you..it's nice to see at least one disciple jumping to attention in defence of their patriarch....and as I said.... Oooops..

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It was? I'll have some of whatever you're on!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN

16. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Blimey you lot!
    Is it Tin Hat time again?

Bye For Now,
    Jo/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Dunno, Jo, but I'm not reaching for mine./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, I'm sure Brian wouldn't claim his was the definitive work on Leica, but unlike Google it was all his own work, so I think it's fair to say that he knows more about Leica than Google does. And if you can't spot Will's idea of a joke in that post, well I just don't know. And as you said - Ooops. You just couldn't resist it, could you?/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN

19. TimF

…but Google doesn't know Jack about anything, its just a signpost. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Precisely!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    A very fine one, and definately a great way to instant knowledge, but in itself it knows nothing about Leicas.

Nick BSRIPN