1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you impose your style, or honestly reflect differences?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

He does seem to throw it all at the wall to see what sticks. In some cases I like the results and in others I wonder why he didn't edit harder.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

If you mean get rid of distractions, simplify etc, I think he is way beyond "rules" (or common sense?) like that.

There was a school of thought, that I must admit I signed onto about 16-18 years ago that said urban scenes are not self-sealed, but are part of a wider continuum, therefore extraneous half faces and things that are from outside the frame are all part of the story. I think there are limits to it and you wouldn't put it in front of a club judge, but it is why I would personally rate this https://flic.kr/p/V8KnEo well ahead of this https://flic.kr/p/Vp8Y1g and this https://flic.kr/p/VKqpXu ahead of this https://flic.kr/p/VqGcDt. And I'm not sure I could be persuaded to lop the right side off this https://flic.kr/p/T33QWs. But only if the context is documentary / travel genre to describe the place and tell a story.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Nov19-17-AP-Sun-IMGP4865 copy.jpg
    Indeed, Kindaichi :) ...... depends upon the photographer ;)

Definitely not "golden hour" :D

Cheers,

Jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jack,

Dunno... Look at some of those reflections...

Cheers,

R.

5. RovingMike

Hard to see if there is ambient light playing a role there, but I suspect all the fill-in is from artificial.

6. Done_rundleCams

Hi Roger,

As Mike states above, all artificial lighting from street lights, motor vehicle lights and, perhaps, the store lights :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. KironKid

KironKid Member

8A77C14B-7A9F-4282-9B1B-C6F4EB17BCE7.jpeg
    I think that style comes over time. Just as an author or singer takes time to find their own voice. Just shoot, and in time your own personal vision will develop and become yours.

Kiron Kid

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Only with self reflection, in my view. If you create without self reflection, you may or may not develop a style.

Done_rundleCams and KironKid like this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I like ghost signs and I feel they will always be on the grottier side of a place. I dont only do ghost signs I do street but all of my photos will be from a wheelchair so from a style aspect everything is from three feet off the ground not sure I qualify to comment but I dont care about 'style' I do care about the enjoyment and joy my various cameras give me and nothing I do or do not do will change another persons view of my photos, I take photos for me and the fact they please me is all I am worried about, If others like them that is a billy bonus if they dont should I change what I do? if you think the answer is yes I am about to tell you I wont, I can't and I actually do not give a flying fig about what others think . XXX Don

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi Don,
    I agree with you 100% about your shooting thoughts :) and, FWIW, there is, at least, one other fellow in the AP Forums who, like you, shoots from a wheelchair :) His handle is, FootLoose, and about 13 years ago ( :eek: ), next month, I travelled over to London and a number of photogs (from AP and DPR), including, Footloose (Sam), did a 6 hour (at least) photowalk in and around central London and it was a hoot :)

Cheers and continued good shooting :)

Jack

ascu75 likes this.
  11. RovingMike

I think that gives you a huge advantage. The 5'9" viewpoint is usually the most boring and least dynamic, but getting down too far is not an option for many of us. Also for street, you are going to be far less obvious. I'd guess you also get about less quickly. Zipping from here to there expecting to find things is far less effective than waiting for them to occur. Wish I could remember that when I'm zipping about impatiently.

Done_rundleCams, ascu75 and Geren like this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I guess it really depends on whether you have got yourself a formula that suits your target audience. That might satisfy you enough to keep doing images in that style.
    There's a guy I see on Facebook (darned if I can find one now, so probably hidden him from view) who does images in the style of Hopper. Now the first few I saw, I thought, very nice. The next few, I thought do something different. The last few I saw, I think I subsequently hid from view, since I was fed up with his obvious formula. Over saturated, whatever the view, darker than actual with a soft edge to the scene. Obvious to me that he is emulating Hopper's paintings. That's when it becomes an imposed style, to me, and in the end, boring as heck.

There are those who say, on occasions, I knew it was your picture, Kate, just looking at it. That sets off slight warning bells in my head, because although I don't have a style I follow, I obviously have a finished product which some recognize as mine! What to do? Carry on regardless.

13. Catriona

Since it is now a hunndred years since the evolution of the Bauhaus movement, it did strike me that imposing your style can be beneficial in art and architectural styles.
    as Wiki says
    The Bauhaus movement began in 1919 when Walter Gropius founded a school with a vision of bridging the gap between art and industry by combining crafts and fine arts. ... The Bauhaus movement is characterized by economic sensibility, simplicity and a focus on mass production.

I admire this style still, for it's simplicity and radical approach coming after Victorian frippery.
    I'm sure many of us still look for form and structure in our photography, along with that indefinable something that makes it art.

ascu75 likes this.
  14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I BET THAt was fun I dont get out much this time of year as it is tooooo cold so I am a fair weather traveler but I still shoot the garden birds through the back room window
    . I sometimes play with topics in doors I love shooting dead or dying flowers much to the annoyance of my long suffering wife. I like fresh flowers too but they have another beauty as they decay. Don

15. Andrew Flannigan

I'm not an admirer of Bauhaus because I find it cold. My own taste in architecture runs to "British suburban twee" which seems to be on a more human scale.

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1220430.JPG

16. Catriona

Ah! But we humans are a varied lot. I certainly tend more towards a minimalist lifestyle. No clutter for me! So which style do you think prevailed in your suburbia? Elizabethan?

17. Andrew Flannigan

Hopefully lots of different styles. If you take a walk through most Devon villages it's common to see 4 quite different styles right next to each other. Suburban streets do tend more to monoculture but there are several streets in Exeter where you can see nearly as much diversity as in the villages. If you must have conformity the sort of semi-detached or even terraced construction you see around the smaller towns in Devon at least has the redeeming aspect of non-simplicity with porches and bay windows.

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB 07 _1050354.JPG

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The more I think about this question, the less I understand it.

You shoot what interests you.

You shoot what suits the subject.

You shoot what suits your style(s).

There is never "one size fits all" though inevitably some of us gravitate to certain subjects and ways of seeing, which may become a "style", or at least a series. But it's only ever good for a part of the time. Ansel Adams's famous pseudo-wilderness style, for example, is readily visible in his pseudo-wilderness shots. But not in (for example) his Manzanar pictures.

Trying to set up "rules" where one size fits all is a besetting error in many amateur activities.

Cheers,

R.

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Roger I have rules for a day, Just black and white or only birds or marine etc this of course never works because I always deviate but what are rules if you dont break them.
    Don

20. Done_rundleCams

Twas fun, indeed, Don :) and, living in the No-Fun City aka Vancouver, BC, there is plenty of decay to shoot, albeit mostly in the way of people ;)
    Because, here, they tear down buildings after they're 40 years old :eek:

Cheers,

Jack