1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

should i return this kit ?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by slate, Jun 14, 2007.

1. slate

slate Member

hi ,
    i brought a d40x with the 18-70 lens kit today , and ive noticed that there appears to be a tiny fibre behind the front lens .
    also there are some tiny fibres on the felt pads inside the camera body where the lens attaches .
    the salesman said that this kit , which was on display , was the only one that they had - so i brought it .
    however , i'm now concerned that it may be shop soiled having been on display and obviously handled by staff and customers .
    it may seem like a daft question , but should i take it back and ask for a brand new replacement ?
    i paid £649 for it , btw ( minus the £60 cashback makes £589 ) .
    thanks in advance ,
    slate

2. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Was that the full price or did they offer you a discount as it was a display model?

If they gave a discount then it suggests that they were acknowledging some possible evidence of use, and that you were accepting it. If not I would think you could argue that you didn't realise that it was shopsoiled (they may say you should have done, but that's not the same as saying that you did)

The price you paid certainly looks full whack (Warehouse Express have the Nikon D40X plus AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens listed for £460, and the website suggests its in stock).

If you're not happy with the state of it I'd take it back and complain and see where it gets you.

3. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

Ouch! I think I would take it back, and consider a refund, that's a fairly high price for that camera and if it's technically 2nd user (which it is, if it's been on display) then I'd expect to see a further discount.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    James

4. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

Whoa there, you've got the 18-70 which is a better and more expensive lens than the 18-55 so though you paid a little more than an online retailer may have asked, it's not that much more. By, fibre behind the lens, do you mean that you can see it on pictures you print (in which case it's on the sensor, buy a blower and blow it off..it happens...a lot)or can you see it in the view finder in which case it's on the mirror or prism, in which case.....buy a blower, it happens...a lot, and will happen again.

5. Mark_Norton

Mark_Norton Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what are these felt pads?

6. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

My point (badly made) was that it seems a lot of hassle to go to, buying a sensor swab or blower kit to fix a problem when it's a new (to the buyer) camera, and quite a fair amount of money has been spent.

That said, it's also a bit of hassle taking it back for a refund and then waiting for one brought online, without the backup of a local shoppe.

Swings and raahdabaahts guv.

Good luck with whatever you do - the GOOD news? That's an amazing camera and a superb lens. The 18-70 is excellent and a good example is easily on a par with the aftermarket ones (Sigma non-EX and Tamron) in my opinion.

Cheers,
    James

7. slate

slate Member

thanks - youre all absolutely right of course .
    the fibre is actually inside the lens body , right behind the front lens .
    theres also one behind the lcd screen of the body , and something inside the camera rattles if you shake it .
    taking it back today - will let you know what happens .
    slate

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't know the camera, but the rattle is probably standard - certainly Canons are supposed to rattle, as they have an orientation sensor (a moving ball!) that tells the camera if it's in portrait or landscape orientation for rotation of the review image.

9. martinch

martinch Well-Known Member

Are those the pads around the mirror chamber? If so, it could be dust from the factory (they're designed to collect that kind of thing). Nikon doesn't use clean-room factories - both my D70 and D200 came with dust on the sensor (only a couple of specs). Oh, and the 18-70mm had a finger print on the rear element! These were new items, unhandled by anyone...

That's the orientation sensor (for rotating portrait images on the display).

10. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Definately yes..........

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Orientation sensors don't need to rattle, there are things called "Liquid Level Sensors", no they aren't mercury switches, that do the same job silently. My D2 doesn't rattle!

12. slate

slate Member

hi ,
    i returned the kit - the assistants said that the fibre in the lens would "make no difference and you wouldnt be able to see it on the photos" . they also said that most new lenses have dust or fibres in them (!!??) .
    they said it would take 2 weeks to get a replacement kit from their other shop ( the owner of the chain wouldnt send it by post because "this would eat up all the profit from the deal" ! )
    so i took the refund .
    i'm a complete dslr novice - i know less than nothing about them - is any of what they said true ?
    thanks for the advice everyone .
    will let you know how finding the replacement goes , and if its got fibres in it !!
    slate :D

13. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

I've only had 2 news bodies, so not a lot of experience, but neither had anything visible in them. That having been said I didn't keep the lens off it for long to have a peer around inside.

You'll get dust in there, its inevitable, to date (touch wood, fingers cross, looking for friendly back cat.... etc) I've not had anything that a good blow hasn't sorted out.

That isn't the point though. When you've spent that much, and its brand new, you should feel delighted not worried.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be able to see the fibre on your photos, simply because it would be way out of focus. However, the effect of lots of fibres in a lens would have an effect, particularly if you were shooting against the light. Your shadows would be lighter than they might be with a clean lens. It's a matter of degree!

If you shine a bright enough light through almost any lens, you will see some dust.

My recent experience is that sending a camera by insured courier/post costs about £8. Whether this eats up the profit, I've no idea. Never forget that the notional profit on an item maybe very small indeed but that at the end of the year, the retailer may get credit from the wholesaler for the total of sales in the year.

Bear in mind that if you had been trying to sell an item to the shop showing visible cosmetic blemishes or faults, their response would have been quite different!

Good luck with your future purchases.

15. scm

scm Well-Known Member

It must have been handled by the owner of the fingerprint!

16. slate

slate Member

i think you're right about the price too james .
    digital depot have the same kit for £549 AND they tell me it qualifies for the £60 cashback on top of that .
    trouble is , they havent got any in stock !
    maybe next week then..
    slate