1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I continue to invest in DSLRs?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bazarchie, Oct 14, 2019.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Not at all from my point of view. I am not saying one is better than the other, each to their own. It is just I/we have a skill which some may not have and because they are relatively new to the game never had the chance (or fortunate enough) to test the water so to speak. I started with film and still get a kick when it develops as it should and then I print it in B&W or colour as it should. No microchips needed. but digital manipulation - yes, they come but via my 'digits on each hand. (Oh yes and a few of the little grey cells as well!)

(I don't like automatic cars either!)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If we accept that it is the image and not the camera that matters does the fact that a 1960s manual mechanical camera or a 2019 digital was used make any difference? Sure there may be more skill involved in using the former but don't forget that making an automatic system do what you want is also a skill (I wish I could say that of automatic gearboxes).

If we are to judge an image on its merits the camera is irrelevant and, it can be argued, such detail shouldn't be included.

3. John King

John King Well-Known Member

About the only 'modern' facility I have really taken to is auto-focus. With modern AF, the accuracy can be counted on to be spot on almost every time. With my cranky, 7.5 decade old eyes they are an absolute godsend. I still like to option of using a separate meter, which I have to with my TLR

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I see that Canon have announced the EOS 1DX 111 so new SLRs will be around for a few years more.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good news, I may be able to afford a used Mark i or ii.

6. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

DSLRs are not dead - not by a long shot. Canon and Nikon are still investing in DSLRs even though they have diverted a significant amount of investment into their mirrorless line. With the 90D released 2 months back and the 1DX Mark III due for release by early 2020, I think you are safe. Plus there is a whole lot of DSLR owners who won't jump on to the mirrorless bandwagon that manufacturers cannot ignore

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Why?

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is probably worth remembering that all manufacturers are in business to make a profit. That means they need to sell new products and there isn't, apparently, that much scope for lens development with the smaller Nikon F lens mount, we have reached the point where further development costs more than they can make from the benefits. The larger Nikon Z mount allows further development and thus greater profits, not to say benefits for photographers. Canon may be less constrained with the EOS mount but equally they can't ignore Nikon's move and not have mirrorless models.

Manufacturers want you to move to mirrorless primarily so they can make a profit. I suspect there are many users who, like me, have the lenses they require and for whom there is no point in buying the latest versions; I don't need the 24-70 f2.8 VR or the new 70-200 f2.8 and the 14-24 f2.8 hasn't been up graded. Nikon don't make money from the likes of me. That doesn't make my, or your, kit any less good, much like Kate's screwdriver, http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/do-you-know-what-this-is.140116/page-8. If it does the job, why change it?

AlanW likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Largely because the ones they can't ignore will be spending £12,000 plus for pairs of D6 or EOS 1DX 111 bodies next year, the people who buy entry level models will, probably not be so fortunate.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Without seeing their internal accounts we can't know but in general it's better for a business to sell 20,000 cameras at a net profit of £10 each than to sell 1,000 cameras at a net profit of £100 each.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed. However, the photographer, or business, that buys multiple D6 or EOS 1 DX 111 bodies will also be buying lenses etc. as they wear out. A huge number of D3500 buyers will buy the camera and kit lens once, these can easily be persuaded that the Z50 will do the job, because it will. It isn't about sales, it is about an income stream. Desert the D3500 buyer and he/she may not even notice, desert the top end professional camera user and he/she will notice. Hence Nikon and Canon cannot afford to desert the latter.

To take your example, is it better to sell 20,000 at £10 profit once or 1,000 at £100 every year?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed. I had a questionnaire about Canon Professional Services (CPS) which I've been invited to twice in the past on the basis of registered equipment (oddly the first thing they asked was for all purchases to be re-registered). It mainly does exist for people who chew through several 1Dxs a year. The thing that amazed me when I bought a 1Div is that it came with a double battery charger. Clearly expectation is that the user gets through several batteries a session - and a battery is good for 1500 exposures.

13. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I had a brief affair with mirrorless a few years back, tried several Panasonic bodies with several Panasonic lenses. Initially I was bowled over by the EVF and IBIS however, the shutter lag, tracking, flash usage not to mention the poor battery performance made me realise my mistake, also the bodies
    and lenses may be smaller, but you still need to carry, so still need a bag...which for me defeated the whole purpose.

I’m back to dslrs now and intend on staying - will definitely be buying a better phone to work alongside not replace my cameras.

in short I’m happy.