1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Should I Buy Them?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by vader, Jun 19, 2007.

1. vader

vader Active Member

Hi!

I have the Canon 350D which at the moment I am very happy with, it came with the usual 18-55mm lens.

A friend of mine is thinking of selling his camera gear and has given me first choice if I want any of it!

The question is, are these 3 lenses any good?

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon fit
    Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 DG
    Canon 70-300 IS USM

I dont want them all, but would like to have an alternative to my 18-55 lens. Also I would like a longer lens for photography at a local Bird Of Prey Center near me.

Any advice would be a great help thanks.

2. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

The 70-300IS is excellent. I have one for work and it really does the trick.

The 24-70 EX is also a great lens, and pretty fast but does have a touch of barrel distortion (like most lenses I guess) when totally wide.

More importantly, how much are we talking? These are great lenses, but not in short supply on the used market.

Cheers,
    James

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got both the 70-300 and the Sigma 70-200, and would recommend them both - but you need to decide if you really need them, and if they've value for money.

4. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I have the Sigma 24-70mm. It's a good lens, is prone to flare if you're not careful, it's useful on the EOS3 but not a replacement for the 18-55. As the 24mm end equates to 38mm on the 350D, whilst the 18mm is a nice wide 28mm(ish).

5. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

You don't quote any prices but I would certainly take the 70-300 if the price was right, it's a smashing lens.
    John

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

P.S. The Sigma is optically a bit better, and build quality is a lot better. And it goes to f2.8. OTOH, the 70-300 is smaller, lighter, has IS and goes to 300mm.

7. Nut_E1

Nut_E1 Well-Known Member

I'd agree on the 70-300, I got mine for £150 S/H, so that's a guide for you...

8. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Wow you did well there! It sounds like a very good price indeed to me, Kev. I would have expected to pay more.

Willie

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, that's a steal for the Canon 70-300 IS USM.

10. Nut_E1

Nut_E1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Mates Rates!!! ;)