1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Should I buy a K-X?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by harry_bee, Aug 25, 2010.

1. harry_bee

harry_bee Well-Known Member

So yes guys thanks for the help, I am now the very happy owner of a Kx. I was going to go for the 300mm twin lens kit but the budget didn’t stretch that far and PC World were offloading the 200mm kit at £399 which seemed like a great deal. I may upgrade / swap for a longer lens when the budget allows. Aside from that I’d like a super-wide zoom but that’s further down the road. It’s all making sense and it feels good in the hands. It *is* noisy, especially in live view – why is that? Anyway I’m looking forwards to some photo opportunities and some play time!

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The best value super-wide zoom for Pentax is probably the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. I'm quite happy with mine, though it's not quite as sharp as the 16-50 DA*, especially in the corners.

The 55-300 is probably still the best value long zoom, though it does cost a bit more if you don't get it in the kit. You might find somewhere selling off kit (lightweight - L) lenses unboxed relatively cheaply, or you might want to go for the full version, with the metal mount, quick shift focus clutch, and lens hood.

By noisy, do you mean sound or image noise? Sound comes from the autofocus motor, active in continuous AF, or possibly from the antishake system - but I've never noticed any from my K20D. Image noise could be worse in live view because the sensor is being read continuously, and so tends to heat up, leading to thermal noise in the electronics.

Enjoy your new camera, and don't forget to post some shots on the appraisal gallery!

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Congrats Harry :)

As for an ultra-wide:

Sigma 10-20/3.5-5.6 @ SRS in Watford

Tamron 10-24/3.5-4.5 @ SRS in Watford

Pentax 10-17/3.5-4.5 FE @ SRS in Watford

And, FWIW, I have flogged a number of the Tamron 10-24's (Pentax,Canon, Nikon) and have yet to hear any complaints. IN FACT, one customer was waiting for a Tokina 11-16/2.8 (in Canon) but picked up a Tamron 10-24 in lieu and checked it out against a Canon EF 14/2.8 and he said:
    "while the Canon 14/2.8 was sharper at the edges It costs £1800 at Jacobs ..click here , it
    wasn't that much (cost wise) sharper and he, has since, compared it to the Tokina but he is still
    really happy with his Tamron :)

Cheers,

Jack

USED Pentax Mount LENSES at SRS :) [

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have a Pentax 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom (twist to focus and slide to zoom). It is a full frame manual focus lens but with 'catch in focus' mode on it is a doddle to use. The quality is superb. My point is that this lens, if you can find one, is cheap on the s/h market. It may solve a problem of a quality long lens for anyone on a tight budget. It also has a built in slide out lens hood.

Happy shooting. :D

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

A sharp lens :) but with the loosest zoom I have ever encountered :eek: but, if you
    hold it tight :cool:

Cheers,

Jack