1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I always use a lens hood?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Bazarchie, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The only time I use a lens hood is when it is permanently fixed to my lens eg Canon 300l is.

I don’t get much lens flare but I gather there are other benefits eg better clarity and contrast.

I have a lens hood for all/most my lenses so should I be less lazy and use them all the time?

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes, unless it obstructs a built in flash but if you aren't using/don't have a built in flash, use a lens hood.

Bazarchie likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I always do...

M43 cameras GX7 GH2 E-PL5 taken with TZ70 P1030671.JPG

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Hoods help to protect the front element when doing street photography etc; I always use them unless I don't have one for the lens. Olympus seem partcularly bad for providing hoods with lenses as standard. As per above post, it seems that JJC come to the rescue on several occasions !

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I almost never do! Which isn't to say I should or shouldn't - I just find them annoying.

6. Bazarchie

You and me both. (I trust all is well for you in these difficult times)

7. Bazarchie

If I shoot away from the sun does it’d really matter?

8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

The lenses in my Pentax manual focus SLR came without hoods, except for the telephoto which had a fixed hood. I used to carry the camera with the lens cap on whichever was mounted, to keep it clean. All the lenses so far for my Nikon DSLR outfit were supplied with hoods, I use them all the time, and I’m delighted how well the keep the lens free of raindrops, spray and dirt (and protect the protective filters). I can’t comment about flare, etc, because I only remove the hoods in circumstances such as when the hood shades a subject from the flash.

Now, if I chose a lens that was supplied without a hood, I’d make a point of buying one for it.

Chris

Bazarchie likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I always use hoods, even the silly little ones for the EF-M lenses that you can't even see (although I got my father-in-law to buy those for me as Christmas and Birthday presents, since he insists on not buying vouchers). I use them primarily as a way of protecting the front element when I'm waving the things about. I think it's a crime that Canon doesn't include them by default and charges an arm and a leg for OEM hoods.

zx9r and Bazarchie like this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I always use them unless I'm using my Lee filters, as they provide significant extra protection, quite apart from flare busting.

However, it's entirely your choice if you use them or not. No law about it. ;)

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

As always it's horses for courses - some lenses obviously need one to protect the front element while others seem to have one built into the the structure of the lens

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This sums me up too.

All my lenses came with hoods and it takes but a moment to put them the right way around, it being convenient to reverse them for storage. I’ve broken two and their lenses came unscathed through being dropped. Black duct tape does a good job of holding the hoods together. I don’t bother with “protection filters” anymore unless for water/dust sealing.

The rare occasions I leave the hood off are to use Lee filters, use ring flash, use camera indoors (usually with bounced flash). The latter is more to reduce the form factor than any other reason. A 70-200 F2.8 with hood is a bit big to wave around.

Bazarchie likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Out cousins over the pond call them Lens Shades which is pretty descriptive. Let us assume a lens with the front element close to the front of the lens, as long as the front element of a lens is shaded contrast isn't going to be compromised. With the lens hood removed that probably means having the sun (light source) at 90º to the lens axis, with the hood fitted that angle is reduced. Obviously a gross over simplification but with low sun it is very easy to get a loss of contrast even with the sun out of the frame. Unless you are a very methodical worker, keeping the lens hood fitted is probably easier than carrying it and fitting it when it becomes apparent that it is necessary.

Except when using a built in flash or some types of filter, I can think of no circumstance where a properly fitted hood will have a detrimental effect.

Bazarchie likes this.
  14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Some lenses (50mm lenses on Prakticas) have a deeply recessed front element, I don't use hoods with these. I do with other lenses on film cameras. I have hoods for 2 of the lenses I use on the Canon 60D - I have yet to get one for the 10-18mm lens.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

At one time this was mentioned in adverts as a "built in lens hood". The relatively recent Nikon 50/f1.8 is designed that way.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just like the one I bought in 1991

17. EightBitTony

You don't want to know how much this 'lens hood' cost (again, got the father-in-law to buy it).

IMG_20200920_105541.jpg IMG_20200920_105606.jpg

zx9r likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the major problem with lens-hoods. Second hand lenses often come without them and the price the camera companies charge for replacements is a bit much, to say the least. Probably why so many third-party hoods are available.

19. EightBitTony

In Canon's case, brand new lenses come without them. They don't include them as standard.

SXH likes this.
  20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Unless they have changed recently that is only some lenses as the 70-300mk1 and the 16-35 L I last bought both came with hoods