1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Should AP do a Olympic issue?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by P_Stoddart, May 14, 2012.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Seeing Mark Jacob's post made me think.

How about a Olympic issue with maybe a one off competition with a gold/silver/bronze medals as the prizes.

It could cover sport photography using different cameras eg dSLR, CSC, compacts & bridge.

Just a thought. :)

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

An olympic issue...

A - they wouldn't be allowed to call it an olympic issue without infringing copyright

and...

B - everyone would boycott that issue

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Probably not, although I would be interested to see one of the medals referred to here.

The long forgotten 'Amateur Photographer, Sports Photographer of the Year' Cup* (won, engraved, presented, kept for a year and returned) can still be found in the editorial office... with the AP cuddly toy cat in residence.

*AP mugs can still be won

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

No-o-o-o-o! I am fed up with the Olympics already, and they haven't even started yet! Total waste of money, pity they hadn't spent all that money building houses for the homeless.

5. Suze

Suze Active Member

I totally agree with Roy - NO!!

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No thanks! I'll be doing my level best to ignore the whole money making scam - but with all the media jumping about like headless chickens it's going to be very difficult.

7. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

In view of the way that photographers have been treated with contempt by the Olympic Authorities, I would go even further and ask all photographers NOT to take any photos.
    We can't justify giving the Olympics any free publicity.

8. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

That's the Olympic legacy :mad:

9. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Let's hope we're not still paying for it years into the future, like the Greeks!

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not overly thrilled about the "Olympic issue" suggestion personally but I'd be quite happy to see more action shot articles.....feel free to hop on the bandwagon a wee bit once it's up to speed and there's lots of new reader potential wandering the streets.;)

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

No, let's save it for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 :p

12. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Back on topic: I imagine one would need more than 10 weeks or so to plan and put such an edition together...

But I have to agree with others, it isn't necessarily something that would draw me in as a reader as I'm not a fan of the games (not the games, per se, just the way this palaver has been conducted - and at a time of austerity, with the constant assurance that we are all in it together). :(

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Also, they'd need more time to arrange the cover gift of a Surface to Air Missile to put up in your back garden :D

14. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I'd certainly buy that issue! :)

15. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Make it surface to surface and I'm in too. ;)

BTW; I know a bloke...

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well that's a big NO. :D

What about a tribute to the Photo-Secession. It is according to the article 110 years since it was formed.

It reads like the foundation of what is done today especially post shooting. :)