1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting in the rain

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, May 9, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Covered sons soccer match yesterday
    It was stopped 10mins into second half when a goal was attempted, as the ball was passed to the striker inside the box, as it came through the air hit the ground and stopped dead (surface water)
    Everyone and everything was totally soaked. I had taken waterproof trousers (to kneel down.
    My gripped 5d3 plus 100- 400ii was covered but the cover was a bloody nightmare resulting in the entire combo getting soaked - eyecup full of water- puddles in hot shoe - all recesses holding water etc etc

I love shooting in the rain, it delivers magnificent shots.

What do members suggest? I need access to the zoom and shutter release. Obviously also need to see through the viewfinder.
    Credit to the kit I used, half the time I couldn’t see if focus had acquired- it was torrential, windy and damn cold too!! But both camera and lens didn’t flinch.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've tried a few rain covers over the years and none have proved practical for my needs.

I did run into a chap using an Olympus Tough camera to cover a local event in a downpour. I asked him, later, how he was getting on with it. He reckoned that it was a lot better than paying to get his dSLRs repaired if they got wet!

I just find some convenient shelter and work from there. ;)

Man and woman sharing umbrella North Street Exeter GX7 P1140104.JPG

3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Several years ago we were visiting a tourist site in the Australian Blue Mountains on a day when it was living up to its description of “rain forest”. My D800 claims to be weatherproofed, but not all of the other kit in my DSLR outfit does. My camera rucksack came with a waterproof cover, but getting it on and off is quite a chore, and gives time for heavy rain to get in the bag. After a bit I returned to the hotel, and came back to the site with my non-weatherproof LX100 compact that I could keep in an inside pocket in my waterproof jacket, whip out for a quick shot, and put away again!

Chris

4. pixelpuffin

2A1FEE23-A0DD-407F-A1AA-B6D8E91D42D6.jpeg Thanks for the replies
    Using either of those cameras you mentioned would not deliver
    So what’s the point of taking pictures?
    The 5d3 cost me just over £400
    My 100-400ii is claimed to be weather sealed (if filter fitted)
    I’m quite happy to sacrifice the 5diii to get a fantastic shot. It would be a shame I agree. But I can’t go back, once it’s gone...it’s gone!! Whereas a replacement body is just that. The 1dx is just too loud.

Next time I’ll check weather more carefully and seal the combo inside clear thick polyurethane bags (from work) using gaffa tape. I’ll leave a hole underneath for zooming and a smaller hole for my finger to use the shutter. I’ll cut out a aperture for the viewfinder and refit the eyepiece to old in place.

I’m certain to others it will look a mess. But for me the best images are almost always in the rain.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nice shot, certainly looks wet. I’ve never used a rain cover. If it is really hissing down I find something to hide under. I guess there must be some good ones as, e.g. the pro’s covering football have to sit on the touchline whatever the weather. A hat with a wide brim probably helps if the rain is vertical rather than horizontal.

6. pixelpuffin

Cheers Pete
    I grabbed some truly great shots, maybe not technically - but of the players laughing at the absurdity of it all. They were falling over, belly sliding...it was nice to see them enjoying themselves after what has been a long miserable and isolated year.
    I love taking shots in the rain.