1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting conditions on hot days

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by colin fosker, Aug 11, 2018.

1. colin fosker

colin fosker Active Member

Hi, just wondered about peoples finding of shooting on hot days. I recently spent a day with a professional photographer in a hide. We were shooting at range across grass & dry river bed to some water with herons. It was a practice day for me with the guy to learn technique etc. I want to make sure I know as much as I can about wildlife photography before I go away in a couple of weeks.

I was using my 5div & 100/400ii. I took around 400 shots all of which were simply put not sharp enough for use. I was using a combination with and without 1.4 extender, bean bag and/or high shutter speeds. The image quality was poor enough that I have returned the combo to canon for looking at. Steve who I was with was shooting a d500 and 200/500, he clearly had a lot more reach than me but the quality of the images on his camera were so much better. Literally in a different league, not talking about framing or composition just clarity. You could zoom right into the eye with the d500 with little blurring yet the canon combo if you zoomed right in, it was considerably poorer.

My question is do you think the issue could be the extra 10mp combined with the weather conditions or camera & lens issue or is it the Nikon is that much better in the conditions? If it was user I would expect at least to get a few sharp pics out of 400+. I cannot upload any pics as we are having trouble with out internet connection.

2. colin fosker

Sorry for the two posts, one minute we have MBPS and the next KBPS its like going back to dial up.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Answer in other post - never post twice it confuses people.

4. colin fosker

Hi Pete, How do I delete this post.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

you can only edit posts within a short time, you will see an edit option after your name at the bottom. otherwise click on report and, in the box that comes up, apologise and ask for the thread to be deleted because it was posted twice, not realising this is unhelpful. I hadn't realised you posted twice in Canon where it is clearly a mistake. Usually people post in several places ( e.g Canon + Beginnes + Help) and that's why it gets confusing.

The reports go to the moderators. If ever you see a spam post it helps to report it, saves the moderator time.

6. colin fosker

Thanks Pete, we have had persistent connection issues in our road and we can go from 30 mpbs to almost nothing in the space of seconds.