1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting at lower res?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

AVG Free is an antivirus program that can be removed if you don’t use it. Also let Windows remove the Other item. Some folders are hidden.
    If you do not remove a program correctly, parts can be left behind. Some programs even leave parts behind when you think you have done it correctly, Apple programs included.
    I would be interested to see what Treesize shows.

2. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Both my machines (Windows Vista desktop and laptop upgraded to Windows 10) came with a system that limits the capacity of the recycle bin, deleting files when it’s full. It’s possible to alter the proportion of the drive occupied by the recycle bin. I’m currently on the desktop, but I read from https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-recycle-bin-storage-settings-windows-10 that for Windows 10:

If you want to increase or decrease the amount of storage Recycle Bin can use to keep deleted files, use these steps:

Use the Windows + D keyboard shortcut to view the desktop.

Right-click the Recycle Bin icon, and select the Properties option.

Quick Tip: If you can't find the icon in the desktop, you can control the desktop icons on Settings > Personalization > Themes, and clicking the Desktop icon settings option under the "Related Settings" section.

If you have multiple partitions you want to configure, select the Recycle Bin location you want to configure. For example, Local Disk (C:), which is the drive where Windows 10 is installed.

Under the "Settings for selected location" section, select Custom size option.

In the "Maximum size (MB)" field, specify the maximum hard drive space in megabyte that Recycle Bin can use on the particular partition. For example, if you have a 500GB drive, and you want Recycle Bin to use 50GB of space, then you need to specify 51200 megabytes (because 1GB is equal to 1,024MB).

Click the Apply button.

Click the OK Button.

Once you've completed the steps, the Recycle Bin will be able to keep more or fewer files from a particular location depending on your configuration.​

Chris

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Quick update
    Deleted the iTunes parts I had missed
    Just copied all 3.600 photos!! to a usb and deleted off ssd
    Emptied temp files and restarted
    There is now practically bugger all of my stuff
    Sons homework app
    AVG FREE
    EOS Utilities
    Astro Photography Tool
    WD drive utilities

just checked again
    Local Disk C
    System & Reserved

68.2gb system restore??
    Is that right?
    Sorry phone image

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is the computer faster now?

6. pixelpuffin

Yes, I think it is slightly
    I now have 95gb spare Yay!! big thanks to all you kind fellas

Ok, yes Geoff you was right
    My Fujitsu does have a secondary battery installed. How big a job is it to exchange for another SSD ? Also how do I find out how much ram is installed and is it a fairly simple process to upgrade
    And finally (sorry) is there a way I can prevent windows updating itself again.
    As previously mentioned I rarely use the laptop for web searches, but if I’m bored editing then I sometimes take a break and hop over to YouTube for 10min!!

A big thank you to you all.

I set the restore point to a max of 5Gb
    Is that still enough?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you can find the module that holds a second SSD it should be as easy as changing the battery.

Start
    Settings
    System
    About
    The Device specification shows the amount of RAM, it may also show how much is usable. I have no idea how easy it is to upgrade the RAM.

No you can’t prevent updates unless you have Windows 10 professional. What you can do is tell it not to update on a metered connection and then tell the computer that your connection is metered. That means it will only update when you choose to do so. I always run the clean up after an update which keeps the disc clean.

As I said my main computers are Macs and I won’t buy one with less than 16GB or RAM, future purchases will have 1TB drives, we fill up smaller drives too quickly.

8. pixelpuffin

Thanks Geoff
    I found the RAM a few minutes ago
    I need to factor in costs of upgrading both RAM and SSD considering the computers processor
    It may be more economical to let my son take this and buy a bigger refurb for myself

Attached Files:

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Almost certainly cheaper to get a refurbished computer than to get someone to upgrade what you have. You have already said the SSD is £149 and 16GB of RAM will be something like £90 and then add labour on top. If you can get what you need for £300 - £400 it will be easier.

10. pixelpuffin

looking around and 16gb is roughly £60
    Videos on the net looks fairly straightforward (famous last words eh’)
    Now the ssd is cleared out I’ll upgrade the ram, download dpp and see what happens. If I like I’ll look for a better specified machine after Christmas.

Thanks again to everyone

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was quoted £400 to upgrade my imac to a 2TB SSD + 32 GB (from 1 TB Sata HDD + 8 GB) including transferring all the disk contents. I thought this was not a bad price as it must be a job in itself opening the case and regluing it.

12. PeteRob

You don’t want to do that. Windows updates are important.

You can delete older versions, the update process keeps the old version in case something goes wrong. Ditto each time you install new software. But once the restore state is gone it is gone. I didn’t give a link before as it looked more complicated than running disk clean up and, if you mess with cleaning up the system files, the scope for [fatal] problems increases. I’d leave well alone.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

While I agree that I wouldn't turn off updates, Windows does a bad job of managing the files it no longer needs, and they do build up unnecessarily.

14. pixelpuffin

I haven’t turned off anything, as I understand it the problem I had was the restore was set to max, which I assume is what’s caused the problems? I’ve now reduced it to 5Gb. When it hits 5Gb it deletes the oldest saved version.
    I’ll go ahead and upgrade the RAM. Just trying source the best deal.
    I won’t put my family photos back on. I’m hoping to keep the internal SSD as empty as possible.

15. PeteRob

Don’t forget to create a backup!

16. pixelpuffin

I’m assuming that was said in jest - lol
    Family snaps are duplicated EVERYWHERE
    Original Cards
    USB Sticks (at least 2 now)
    Western Digital back up drive (2) one of which is stored at a separate address.

17. PeteRob

Just making sure! It read as if the pictures that were on your SSD were outside your copy-a-card programme!

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The spec sheet says "configurable to 16GB" but then I have run a couple of MacBooks on 16GB when they were supposed to support only 8GB. £400 does sound reasonable given the cost of the parts.

19. pixelpuffin

I’ll never live it down, will I ?
    The quicker I move onto photobooks the happier I’ll be. I find viewing on devices much less appealing then flicking through albums. 2021 will be the year I explore photobooks
    I have hundreds of family pictures hidden away on cards, sticks phone etc etc
    I want to relive the pleasure of looking at photos. I’ve only just realised how much I’ve missed it.
    Food for thought there?

20. PeteRob

I'd taken the 16 GB to refer to each slot. Yes it is very reasonable - I was suspicious of the low cost. They said they had 2 of that model running in the shop with the mods done and that they would clone the HDD straight to the SDD and the computer would start up as if nothing had happened and time-machine would continue as usual. Click and collect, 24 hour turnaround. I guess that if you've done it often then it is not much of a deal. Open the case, unplug the disk, clone it, write the SSD, plug it in, pop 2 memory modules, test it starts then glue it together again.

I'm tempted now that I have been playing with Bridge and ACR (just to avoid taking some play stuff into LR). If I accidentally open Photoshop from Bridge then it is cup of coffee time while the computer sorts itself out.