1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting at lower res?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Nov 2, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

It’s actually the exact opposite, I take everything I read with a pinch of salt. If I read the same views on different sources then I think there’s a possibility of a grain of truth lurking somewhere.

yes, I’m extremely cynical

as the late Terry Wogan often said

“ Believe nothing you read and only half what you see”

it’s nothing personal - just the way I am.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm still using my 2011 MacBook Air. It now sits in a corner with two 1TB drives attached, functioning as a file server. Spread over the nine years I've had it that works out around £125 per year. Given that I used it for business the first three years I owned it, I regard it as a very cheap purchase.

3. pixelpuffin

The thing is
    I’m really just a snapper these days, you guys are evidently die hard photogs!

Can I retract the silly SAD comment I made, rather stupid and regret saying it. Sorry if I’ve offended any of you. Having a pretty tough time (work wise) and vented my anger at you chaps. So sincerely apologise to everyone...even you Tony!! (Poke Poke)

The soccer snaps just gives me a release, a way to get away from it all for a few hours and at the same time record memories of young lads growing up fast. It also takes me back to my early years when I was single and utterly obsessed with photography

Studied it 24/7 for 6 full years back in the early 90’s and loved every second. Maybe I yearn for a life I once had, maybe. But this digital era is way too complicated (and expensive!!) for a 1 hour a week snapper like me. I often think move on and let go, and then I see something quite oblivious to those around me and know there was a time when I’d have had that split second in the can!

Apologies to everyone

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The days that they became obsolete almost overnight are rather past now except perhaps for those that pay a fortune for gaming performance. I'd look at a 10 year+ expected useable life. My photo PC is a 2012 iMac - so 8 years old now. It could do with a bit more memory - for some reason iMacs even now ship with a standard 8GB unless custom specified - but the processor is OK. Sure a mac is at the expensive end of the options. My windows PC which I use for work was bought in 2013. I can't remember how much I paid probably about £500 bog-standard Levano at John Lewis, and the cheapest screen I could find in Currys. For work I had cede the necessity and buy a lap-top too - that was a lower end purchase, runs Win 10. The potentially expensive option if photo editing is the prime goal is a decent monitor. I have a NEC Multisync P221W, bought in 2009 I think. To replace it with something equivalent will be around the £1200 mark today I guess. Not looked recently.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In the earlier years of the 21st century it was possible to buy a Windows computer and find that within a few years it had slowed down to the extent that it was almost unusable. In that time hard drives had become bigger and processors faster. By about 2011 that was no longer the case, at least not with the corporate Windows I was using, the Dell laptop I had for work ran Windows 7 and it kept running for the next five years when it was handed over to my successor. A Windows computer bought new today should easily last for ten years in domestic service, the software is more likely to become obsolete than the hardware. I bought a Windows tablet earlier in the year and it does all I need of it, it was around £300 ex-demo. Yes Microsoft still do things that annoy me, like removing my email account from the Mail program and needing a restart every time there is a software update but if you can live with that a decent performance can be found at a very reasonable price.

The 2011 MacBook Pro I bought used in 2013/14 is still working well, my Mother uses it for Zoom once a week. It has had a new main board, free of charge because it was covered by an Apple programme for a known fault. I guess it was an expensive purchase for somebody in 2011 but for what I paid it was good value. Used computers can represent an excellent way to get performance at lower cost, unlike those earlier models. Computers for image editing are likely to be somewhat more expensive because of the need for larger hard drives and more RAM but, to my surprise, the MacBook Air I bought in 2014 does well with only 4GB or RAM. Computers aren't quite the disposable tools they once were.

6. pixelpuffin

Cheers Geoff
    My laptop Fujitsu LifeBook T902 128ssd
    Was perfect when I first got it. (Used -refurb)
    It was all I could ask for. I have deliberately not used it for storing files (but is the 5yrs I’ve owned it it probably has 2-300 family shots stored on.
    There are no programs other than Canon utilities and a strange Astro thing that gives shutter counts when camera is connected (only reason I installed it)
    However my ssd is practically FULL
    The other week it was showing as red. Windows constantly updates itself and is not discarding old stuff.
    The computer is rarely used for internet, tho my son has downloaded something for school work. if I buy another I’ll make sure it never sees the internet. It will just be a editing station and nothing more.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

300 photos should not take much space and neither does Windows. It sounds like your system needs a clean and if necessary a complete reinstall. This should give you enough space to process photos. You could try replacing the ssd with larger one and using the existing ssd in a cage to use as an external drive.

8. pixelpuffin

That’s exactly what I would like to do, but I’m clueless
    A 1tb ssd is £149
    Would like to really up the RAM too
    But I suspect if I go to a shop they’ll charge more than it’s economically worth.

9. Bazarchie

It is not difficult if I can do it. Perhaps your son or the team’s manager with the IT experience could help?

10. PeteRob

Do you do basics like empty the recycle bin (after first removing windows temporary files)?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I suggest that you buy two 1TB USB drives and just plug them into the 2 fast sockets that the spec sheet says are fitted to your Fujitsu. Use these only as data storage and keep your programmes on the SSD. These will cost as little as £40 each from Amazon at the moment (look for the Seagate STGX1000400). Then you can store all your data on one and then duplicate it to the other. You don't really need any further upgrade that I can see.

12. pixelpuffin

Thanks for the responses
    My son (13) would have less idea than me...which says a lot as I have no idea.
    I don’t think I’ve ever touched the recycle bin
    I tried to run disk clean up and defragmenter but a pop up stated only clean up with ssd.
    When I first got the laptop it was so fast, practically instant startup.
    Now Microsoft has automatically altered it so that it’s either Edge, Cortana, Bloody Bing and Christ knows what else. I specifically set it to clear history and cookies thinking that would prevent the cashe from building up - is that right??
    As for separate drives, I would much prefer it all built in. The laptop never stays out, is put away after each and every use religiously (same as my camera gear)
    What’s confusing me, is to say how clever it’s supposed to be, updating itself as and when, the stupid thing doesn’t seem to discard the old stuff. My drive is practically full, I mean that - not exaggerating at all.

As said before the next one I buy ( or if this gets fixed) it will NEVER be hooked up to WiFi
    Not ever.
    I use my phone for everything except photo editing. It the one and only reason I bought a laptop.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  13. PeteRob

No modern computer deletes a file. It marks the file as deleted but keeps it unless you change your mind at a later date. The recycle bin lists all the files that you have marked as deleted but until you empty the recycle bin they are still there. Just double click the recycle bin to open it. Right click on it to get a context menu which includes the option "empty recycle bin". That will permanently delete everything in it and free the space up.

Microsoft has retired internet explorer and Edge has replaced it.

Browsers do collect a lot of rubbish. Having it delete history and cookies should stop this but it will mean that you have to keep logging into some sites - like AP as cookies are used to remember you.

Windows has a scratch directory usually C:\users\your - username\Appdata\Local\Temp you can look in there to see how big it is. Mine is small (10 MB) but I have Norton Security installed and I think it does a regular clear up. There is also a Windows utility, Disk Clean-up, that removes temporary files but I have never used it. I found a windows support webpage that goes into some detail on how to free up disk space on Windows 10, but looking at it you do need to be conversant with Windows for some of the options and a work around to a problem if the TEMP directory gets full on a system that has had a lot of windows updates.

You need to be connected these days for licencing purposes, updates etc.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

According to the data sheet your computer could take a second hard disc, battery or optical drive. You probably can't get the necessary module new now but you might find one on eBay and you could fit a second SSD into that. Apparently it has a capacity of 16GB of RAM though I am unsure whether your version of Windows can use that much.
    I am at a loss as to how you have filled the 128GB SSD, my MacBook Air has only 128GB and I have Microsoft Office, Nikon View, Nikon Capture, Firefox and Audacity on there with plenty of space for documents etc. The small size of the drive isn't the problem, neither is connecting to the internet.

When Windows updates it keeps quite a lot of data from the previous version, you can however delete this. When you do anything with the computer it creates temporary files, over an extended period these will build up to the extent that the computer may not have enough room to run properly, these too can be deleted. What you are doing with your browser is good practice but you should also reject unnecessary cookies to prevent it from slowing down as you use the internet, cookies are small but again they can build up over time.

From what you say it appears that you don't actually do any housekeeping on your computer. If you go into Settings you should be able to clean up your computer, unfortunately I can only tell you how to do that with Windows 10 as I ditched Windows at Vista and bought a Mac, but I do have a Windows 10 tablet for some specific software.
    Go to:
    Start
    Settings
    System
    Storage
    In Windows 10 you should see a bar displaying the SSD capacity and usage. Below that are two more one labelled Apps & features and a second labelled Temporary files. If you click on the Temporary Files area you can chose which temporary files to delete. On my tablet there are files under the following headings
    Windows Update Clean-up
    Delivery Optimisation Files
    Temporary Files
    Downloads
    Thumbnails
    Windows Defender Antivirus
    Temporary Internet Files
    Windows error reports and feedback diagnostics
    Windows upgrade log files
    This amounts to 9.16GB since I last cleared them out, my computer is under 12 months old, I wouldn't be surprised if yours had a lot more of these types of file. I would suggest that you look at Downloads and clear those manually, otherwise just click the boxes and let Windows do it for you.

15. pixelpuffin

A big thanks to you all for taking the trouble to write all that.
    I’m just popping outside to show respect for the service at the church next door.
    Will then get the laptop out and will report back

speak soon
    Thanks again everyone

16. Bazarchie

You could try Treesize free
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/treesize-free/9nblggh40881?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

which will can list all the folders and files by size to show you what is taking up the space. You then need to decide what to delete.

I use cc cleaner to remove temp files etc.

If you really have no idea, perhaps get a quote from local computer store, assuming they are still open, to do the clean for you. However, unless you do a regular clean when it is returned you will gradually run into the same problem.

I put a ssd in my pc last year to run Windows 10 and several other programs with all my photos, docs etc on other drives. Your post prompted me to check yesterday and I found approx 150 gb had been used. Some programs are large and create data which takes up a lot of space, hands up PS and Lightroom. I had a good clear out using some of the methods mentioned above and saved a considerable amount of space. However the drive is 500 gb so not really a problem.

17. pixelpuffin

Ok
    Just followed Geoffs instructions...
    None the wiser 1A0357FE-5394-4F42-B61F-A9E1C94A289D.jpeg

the biggest item in “apps” is AVG FREE
    Also if I click click on “Other” it states apple? But the folder is empty??

Attached Files:

18. pixelpuffin

Just to add, my partner put iTunes on 2yrs ago, I removed it as I thought that was slowing it down?

Edit, the stored pictures are vastly higher than I thought, I thought I had transferred the vast bulk of family stuff to a separate usb stick. if this is the cause I can remove all. They are all on the original cards I have stored away

Attached Files:

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Put your mouse on Temporary Files and left click, this will then open up all the types of files Windows thinks are unnecessary, make sure the boxes are checked and then, above the list, click delete. It will take a while but it should remove all the unnecessary files. The heading temporary Files is misleading because there are other files than those with the extension.tmp.

I see that you have 3.5GB of temporary files, simply deleting the temporary files will make a difference but I suspect that when you go deeper you will find considerably more that can be removed.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Did you also delete the iTunes library? A CD can easily take 750MB of space depending on the file format. My iTunes library, accessed from my iMac, is on a separate hard drive.