1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock Horror! Canon 5D II given 81 points in AP review.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by nspur, Jan 9, 2010.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

In the current issue.

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's less than an Olympus! ;)

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

...and exactly the same as the Sony Alpha a850 :eek:

4. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

It's an outrage!!! :mad: :mad: ;) :D

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Does this mean they've tested the AF, and found it's as lacking as the naysayers say it is? Or has the bar been lifted?

Or is this just a ruse to get me to brave the snow next Tuesday and get myself down to the local shop?

6. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

It's a head-to-head with the Sony A850 so Live View and Video have been ignored (!?). No adverse comments on AF except it's scored only 7/10 for both. Sony gets an increased point for 1 EV better dynamic range and also for better metering.

It's worth reading if only because it's hard to reconcile the images with come of the comments.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Haven't got my AP (On sub) yet. There's all of 1 cm snow here in Acton.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Well, I've bought this week's copy of the AP, and I've now read the review.

I really do find it amazing that the, to me, huge difference between the noise at higher ISOs doesn't get reflected in the scoring.

OK, it's more than obvious from both the noise charts and the rugby examples, and probably might not be that visible on 6" x 4" prints, but perhaps the slightly higher pixel count on the Sony 850 is compensation?

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I can understand the one per cent, but it beats me where they got the other eighty from..!!

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

For anyne who does need to record video, photojounalists for example Sony's lack thereof makes it a non-starter.
    Dave

11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I too was surprised at this review. It seemed to me that in every important area the 5D mk2 beat the Sony and yet...

Also, as you point out, Malcolm, the noise issue was strangely, not made as significant as, IMHO, it should have been.

It might just be me but I have been a bit surprised by quite a few of the conclusions in AP tests in the last couple of years.

Willie

12. Malcolm_Stewart

It's a difficult one. I'm sure we all get used to how our DSLRs handle different scenarios, and learn to make adjustments to the exposure compensation, for example. My early shots with my 5D were definitely not very encouraging. (I've just checked!) Gradually I got to know how the metering reacted, and knew more intuitively when to apply compensation. And my images started looking much better. Whether magazine reviewers are able to get to know any model well enough to get the best out of it, I don't know.

I noted veiled references to some problems with over exposure and reds burning out or losing detail. Easily fixed, I would guess, by lowering the exposure slightly. BUT, I doubt if one can fix that amount of noise, except by losing fine detail.

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Out of interest, who did the test?

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Angela Nicholson

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Malcolm

16. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

...or....oooor....the Sony is not as bad as some wanted it to be. ;)

17. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

As an enthusiastic owner of a 5D and a 5D MkII, I too am surprised by many of the conclusions reached in this latest head-to-head test report. Is it possible for one of the moderators to give Angela the right to reply, since her report has certainly raised some dust in Canonville?
    Rupert

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with us, we just Moderate the Forum

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Judging by previous postings on the board, I think Angela's quite capable of defending her corner, without requiring permission from a moderator!

I take it that you don't own or have experience of using the Sony body. That's my problem too, and why earlier I suggested that it must be very difficult for reviewers to get to know how to get the best out of any enthusiast's camera.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If Angela wants to reply she will, just as she has in the past.