1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Shadow play.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by the dingo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. the dingo

the dingo Well-Known Member

The back of my house faces west, which is a bugger at the end of the day, unless you happen to have a camera conveniently placed and pointed.
    Every afternoon, as my wife, Christine (bless her sweet Manchurian heart), draws the drapes - er, blinds - i get ready for the shadow play. This is the time when photography becomes a game. There is no other purpose than that which gives me joy.

[​IMG]
    _D3S3770 by thedingo0099, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    _DSC5877 by thedingo0099, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    _DSC5886 by thedingo0099, on Flickr

2. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

really like the 2nd, its like a abrastic look at textures & shadows

3. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

I like number 3. Interesting shapes and a good range of b&w tones.

4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Shadow play.( more Shadows)

Further to the thread 'Shadow Play' I took this one yesterday to finish up some film in my 1961 Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar and test if the lens was still OK for 'Contre-Jour' after all that time -- it was OK, NO Flare ! It is my wife's Pots in which she has some Tulips. I used 2003 outdated Kodak TCN 400 film rated at 125ASA as it was so old, and processed it in C41 myself, scanned with my old Epson 1650 flatbed, Vuescan Pro and PhotoShop 7.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/11705498123/
    Pots http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/11705498123/ by pentaxpete http://www.flickr.com/people/25850987@N03/, on Flickr

5. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

No.2 to for me. Simple and elegant.

6. the dingo

Thank you fellow photographers but I must protest.
    I read the blurb on this hole in the wall and it distinctly said 'no criticism' of any kind. I was drawn to that descriptor so as to avoid personal comments and to be more involved in something a bit more erudite and possibly some audience participation with the posting of similar shots taken as the light of the sun plays with the textures and structures of their home or workplace.
    But, alas, what do I get?
    Not only 'likes' but particular likes. Am I to assume that, once again, people must choose. That for some reason the importance of a photograph is elevated by someone liking #3 over the rest.
    Gentlemen, please.
    Can we leave the critic in us aside for a moment and tell me about and show your experiences with shadow play or tell me you've never done it and will wait in anticipation for the next sunrise or sunset or that you might even ask me what I was drinking at the time or that the fact that I was naked might have influenced the outcome. Give me a conversation. Please!

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I suspect you have chosen the wrong Forum...

Perhaps we've been there, done that and written the book...

8. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

MAN....I'm soooo sorry I said I liked your photo, good luck in this forum

9. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Ditto. You exhibited something and as I liked one of them I thought I would share my pleasure of seeing it with you. How wrong was I.

10. the dingo

Once again, Catriona, I'm in the unfortunate position not to have read that particular book. Maybe you can inform me of its content. Sharing is caring, don't you know.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mod's thoughts...

OK, can we take a breath, please?

The Dingo is quite correct in terms of the use of this particular board. That said, we've never enforced it to the level of banning people saying that they like a shot, but it's really not what it's about.

Catriona, I really don't understand your post or the purpose behind it. Clearly, this IS the right forum, and the rest of your post makes no sense whatsoever to me, anyway.

Now, please no more off-topic discussion in this thread (including responses to this post), let's try to keep to the subject of shadows. Thanks.

12. the dingo

Don't apologies. Luck is what I seem to need, though. Being an amateur photographer, I was hoping to learn something of what others do, to share in the conversation of photography, to contribute in my own small way, to discuss all aspects of photography as one might when taking on such a broad concept as a hobby.
    I paste a couple of shots in this forum and what do I get? The same I could get from passers by in the shopping mall or, heaven forbid, that blot on the landscape, Facebook.
    surely my hope must not be dashed. I thought the connection to such a highly regarded magazine might bring forth unbounded matters of interest information and people with ideas that would push me to greater things. At least give me something to think about.
    but what do I get. Like.
    I could have said that. In fact, I did, just before I posted them. Trust me. I'm not going to post a picture here unless I like it. I'm one of those people who, when faced with a photo I took that I don't like I bin it. It never sees the light of day.
    Knowing you like it as well or have a preference might matter if I was looking for praise, seeking points in a competition or trying to sell it to you. Otherwise it does nothing for me, you or our photography.
    im sure you're an intelligent person. Have a go. See what else you can come up with. Take a chance.

13. the dingo

Re: Mod's thoughts...

Cheers, mod. I didn't see your post. We must have been typing at the same time.
    wont happen again.

14. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Hope you didn't mind ME posting my 'Shadow Play' photo in this thread then Folks as I though I was contributing to what the original Poster had in mind --

15. the dingo

Hi Pete.
    seems like a long way to go about getting a photo. That reminds me of the last century. I'm not a film buff by any means. Glad to be rid of it, actually. Just spent 6 days in Sydney and all the shots are neatly packed away on a portable hard drive in my purse. Back in the film days I'd have a kit bag full of film secured in a lead lined bag ready to face the security scanners at the air port, then the dreaded hours processing them once back at home.
    I'm glad there are people like you, though, who keep the craft alive. It served us well for many years and, like all those past skills and technology, it's nice for the new generations to see how it was done. Maybe even try it for themselves.
    do you print directly from negatives at any time?

16. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Dear Mr Dingo -- YES I do print from negatives both B&W and some colour using the RA4 paper and chemicals in a British 'NOVA' 16x12" slot processor with temperature control -- I have three enlargers, two GIVEN -- a Durst M601 and M305 with colour head ( given) and a LPL C7700 pro. I did some printing only yesterday and sepia toned one using the Thiocarbamide method -- keeps me alive my Oncoclogist has told me -- my 'Old Cameras' and 'Old' techniques !! I use my scanned negs on Forums as a 'guide' and if I get 'good Feedback' I will do a 16x12" Exhibition print for my Club.

17. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

please do not stop (Pete) my memories rely on folk like you.

original post; please continue, your work arrested me in my tracks, also it evoked another shadows correspondent, job done,

thread was interesting, thought provoking, inspirational; another job done, thanks; it did what it said on the tin...

18. the dingo

Hey, dachs, what have you got to show us? I love these old blokes who still stay with the old methods. I'm certainly not one of them but I appreciate their stories and persistence as well as their photos. Olde blokes! Hang on! I'm one of those!.
    My wife would kill me if I took over the bathroom again. I'm leaving it to Pete to tell us his stories and show off his skills.

19. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Shadow play. ( One more example)

Thanks for all your support Folks -- well getting back to 'Shadow Play' before we all get told off by the 'AP' forum Moderators -- here is one more, taken in April trip to Whitby in Yorkshire by coach where my Wife said she never wants to go 'Up North' again as she was so COLD - but we had ONE day of sunshine and while she was in 'Ladies' Shops' with kids and her Filipina friend who came with us I was out 'Picture-hunting' with my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM ( for which I waited 40 years) loaded with 1993 outdated ORWO NP 22 East German film 120 size, and lens was 50mm f4 CFi Distagon T* and I processed film in Promicrol 1+14 and scanned neg BUT I have done a 16x12" darkroom print to show at my Club .
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/7371925230/
    199 Steps http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/7371925230/ by pentaxpete http://www.flickr.com/people/25850987@N03/, on Flickr

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The perspective makes me feel seasick, but that shadow is hilarious, Pete!

Adrian