1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a photo collage

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by gray1720, Apr 18, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...if that's the right word. I have a set of six - seven photos of me having a narrrow escape on the cricket field that I'd quite like to set up as a single block to go in a frame but I've never actually done anything like that on my own.

Can anyone give an overview of the process? I am assuming that I would create a blank canvas (I'd be using Elephants 9), and then paste in the inidividual images and fart about with them, but until I've tried it I'm not sure how best to go about it.

Thanks!

Adrian

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not a clue. Good luck!

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'll be back after my breakfast!
    Tell you then (my way anyway in E10)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. Catriona

OK I'm back.

In Elements 10 here's how I would do it.
    1) File, new, blank, with background black background in the format and size you want the finished collage to be.

Then open the pictures you want to fit onto this blank canvas.
    For each picture, make it a layer (I double click on the image in the column on the right where it shows your imported image) but make your picture a layer whichever way you normally would.
    Then lift this layer ( having selected the arrow symbol on your toolbar, click on the layer and hold) and move it physically onto the blank canvas showind at the bottom of your screen, in the bin. This should now be what you see on the screen. Your image on the new canvas
    Now you can move it where you want it to be (you can change your mind any time). So long as you are on the arrow symbol top/right of your tool bar - you can make the picture smaller or larger as you like (notice the edges of your layer and you'll see at the corners you can extend diagonals and enlarge or decrease the sizee).
    Now repeat this process for each of your images. Load the ummage, Make it into a layer, move it to the new canvas, place it/resize as necessary.
    When you have gotten all your images onto the new canvas and are happy, then go to layer at the top and flatten the image which fixes everything in place. Other than this, you can just go merge layers and save as a psd but that will be pretty huge.

Of course, you could use a picture, and, say, desaturate it a bit, make it a layer - and use that as the background for your collage. Arty!

Please come back if this hasn't helped and I'll open my Elements programme and go through the steps with you.

5. gray1720

Brilliant - that gives me a task for the evenings! I think I may well do a straight six pics to a block as practice (montage might be more trhe word I was looking for, as it's effectively a sequence, but I need to hide the blurry one a bit), and try for something artier after - though I do suffer from art failure, and always look at yours in wonder.

Thank you!

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

Oh, I reckon you'll do fine! As I said, if you get stuck, just post here again and I'll do my best to help.

PS I'm sorry for my pre-breakfast mis-typing/clumsy finger mistakes!

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Hope this is of use

8. Catriona

Hmph! Make me useless do! :p

beatnik69 likes this.
  9. gray1720

Shhh! I won't tell anyone!

beatnik69 and Catriona like this.
  10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm on Elements 10 and had a notion that there was something like this for creating collages. I saw it the other week when making birthday cards for my wife.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

2223463298_17306e9ec6_c.jpg
    I like to take control. :p

12. gray1720

Oooooh, that's *stunning*!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Thank you. My little part of the world.

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Thank you. I wish I could step through one of the panes now. ;)

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So do I.

Catriona likes this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s lovely.

I thought a collage was cutting bits of different pictures up and sticking them on top of each other.

18. gray1720

First attempt... low on artiness! Hmm, might have overdone the compression...

Oops!.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  19. gray1720

Better? Maybe, a bit? Looks a lot cleaner in Elephants!

Oops!.jpg

Geren and Catriona like this.
  20. Catriona

Well done. It takes a while doesn't it? I see what you mean about the sequence. :)