1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serif Affinity Photo, AP Testbench article in issue dated 24.08.19

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Chester AP, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I meant the green and purple fringes around high-contrast edges (branches of trees with bright sky behind, etc.). This is the thing I managed to make work in Affinity Photo, but was disappointed to find the result no better than I can do 'manually' in PE 7 (usually in conjunction with the selection tool so that the process is only done in areas of the image where needed). At least it shows that my guess about how 'automated' correction works has been proved correct - it desaturates the fringes to a light-grey or mid-grey with a soft edge, which is what I've been doing manually with the 'replace colour' facility in PE 7. Since I only use this a few times a year when preparing images for printing, it's not a problem. It would be if I was doing a lot...

I understand the 'nerd' reference: this is a problem I have encountered on other software I've had 'on trial' over the last 10 years, and it's getting worse. Perhaps nerds don't use reference manuals and love online 'tutorials'. There are many facilities in my 10 year old copy of PE 7 that I have looked at once and never used, so perhaps Affinity Photo would have a greater proportion of these, but the facilities I actually use may be no better than PE 7.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If PE7 works for you, don't waste your money on new stuff.

Know what you mean about nerds writing manuals - the trouble is they know how the thing works, therefore so should everyone else.

S

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have written and documented firmware and software from the days of writing assembler for microprocessors embedded in scientific instruments and pre cnc machine tools, then engineering programs written in C an C++. Designed database structures, implimented them, and written Oracle Forms applications which use the databases. I can honestly state that I understood every single sentence of every bit of documentation that I have written. Perhaps I am a nerd. I admit that I do not understand stuff that I wrote and documented only a little over fifteen years ago.

4. Learning

I slightly exagerated about the cost of the book. The full price is £37.99 but I got mine during one of their offers.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've abandoned the Affinity Photo, and as you suggest will stick with my ancient PE 7. The problem wasn't that I was desperate to replace it, but that AP made Affinity Photo sound so good (for the money) I decided it was worth a look. The money will me much better spent on a few months AP subscription instead. The latest edition even has an article about the most useful bits of PE, but closer reading suggests they have been using the latest version. If they can sometimes have articles about old cameras which can be secondhand bargains, perhaps there is scope for looking at what old copies of PE on disc sell for. Surely not all the discs go to landfill when people buy a newer version?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think most T&C forbid resale. In times passed, when the only validation was the printed key on the box, there was no barrier to reuse. Now software checks online for uniqueness to prevent multiple instances running so there are more chances that s/h software won't work. Generally speaking the products do improve with time and keeping them uptodate is generally worthwhile.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Photographers are only likely to use a tiny proportion of photoshops capabilities.
    But there is no doubt that it and it's incorporated raw processor has advanced by leaps and bounds over the last few years.
    Of course the basic structure and leading features have remained the same, which is why new elments are always fairly easy to get to grips with

Affinity has a quite different structure that runs through all their programs. It is largely non destructive. Even when working at the pixel level. this will give it a considerable advantage going forward. Though it adds something of a learning curve to Photoshop users. There are as yet holes in the Affinity offerings, as it has no DAM. and it's raw processor is not fully implemented for Fuji files and lens corrections.

I have bought a copy, and have a learning / play with it from time to time. with the expectation that in the fullness of time I might move over to using it. But this is unlikely before the two shortcomings I have mentioned have been addressed.

8. Learning

Dam is the major omission.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not fussed about DAM in the Lightroom 'I'll-take-everything-over-and -do-it-MY-way' sense but I would like a preview and rating system similar to those seen in OEM softeare like Canon DPP or Nikon ViewNX. Even something similar to Bridge would be fine.