1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

September theme - Windows, doors and openings

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by dream_police, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

To make things easier for the judge maybe there should be a limit of 5 entries per person?:rolleyes:

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure the point of photography is to make things easier for judges. Rather the other way round, I suspect.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Tbh I am making jokes about it but I, for one, like looking at the entries and am not massively bothered about the numbers. The hardest bit is picking a theme.

Geren, Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I know that this is not a brilliant image but I think it is interesting. It is the memorial window to Mary Anning in Lyme Regis church. Erected by subscription raised by notable scientists from London and interesting because it commemorates not her significant scientific achievements but her charitable works.

Anning window.JPG

Geren, Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Quite a lot of pictures 'up my street' so to speak, but his one a couple of pages back was probably my pick for the theme so far.

EightBitTony and Done_rundleCams like this.
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yowza :eek: .... brilliant, You :)

Cheers,

Jack

Catriona and Zou like this.
  7. Done_rundleCams

Well, I'm taking (Dorset) Mike's advice and limiting my submission to five (4 windows and a doorway) ;) and, of course, all from the archives and the premiere one
    being film :eek:

Aug1997:8-AP-Fire-ManAve-DSCN9567 copy.jpg Jan25-14-AP-Sat-R0011668 copy.jpg AP_WindowClean3-Apr07-IMGP2230.jpg March2005-sf-NakedManonWire_zps1f60e5d4.jpg NPAC_APAD-Aug02a-09-IMGP7863.jpg

Cheers,

jack

Geren, EightBitTony, Catriona and 3 others like this.
  8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Jack
    I really like seeing your entries especially the man on wire shot

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I actually love Jack's Greyhound bus shots. So real as only Jack can do!

My last offerings.
    ap doorway 2.jpg

ap doorway 3.jpg

ap crete.jpg

10. Done_rundleCams

Thanks very much, Roger :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Kate ... very much appreciated :) and, sadly, I can't do them any longer as Greyhound is no
    longer operating, for the most part, in Canada :(

Cheers,
    Jack

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

13. Catriona

This is the end, the end, my friend.
    ap ian macleod at nairn.jpg

Geren, Done_rundleCams and El_Sid like this.
  14. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

There is still fifteen and a half hours left in my time zone.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Cartiona's graveside shot seems most appropriate whilst I'm waiting with bated breath fo find out who is going to be next month's victim!

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I know I said yesterday that I didn't mind a load of entries, but this was quite hard for a number of reasons.

1/ There were a lot
    2/ There were some very good ones
    3/ There were many from a number of people whose photographic style is very similar to mine and I can see the sort of shots I would like to have taken. I tried to overcome that to some extent. That still would have been hard if I had just those to choose from as there were a lot of those too.

I am writing this before I have even decided who the winners and the runners up will be this month (And I have just noticed a notification to say a new post has been posted which may bugger things up). There were some that I really liked, but felt that some the window or door was more incidental, so despite being a good photo I eliminated them.

I now have a folder on my desktop with 19 photos in it but believe me there could have been a damn site more.

So, I am going to go straight into my final 3, 4, 5 no, sod it, 6 shots in no particular order.

Kate for the below. I liked the fact that it is showing a wet outside. Have I just come in, or am I waiting to go out into the wet. People are rushing about outside apart from the one person. Are they waiting to come in, or waiting for me? It is a gloomy shot but I like the fact the whole image is broken by the red line.
    catriona.jpg

Mike for the below. What is there not to like? It is one of the shot's I spoke about above. Right up my street. Love the processing on it too. Great.

RM.jpg

Tony for the below. Not a door or a window and I assume it is an opening. Again another shot that is right up my street. In fact a lot of the photo's you submitted (and RM's) Sarah commented that they could have been mine. Whether that is a compliment I'll let you decide!

tony.jpg

Zou for the below. No idea what it is but it'd make a great album cover!

zou.jpg

The final 3 in my selection here are all by Kath and I have really struggled to pick a winner from any of all of these shots in my final 7. Needless to say though, Kath @Geren it is down to you I'm afraid.

kath.jpg

I just love this photo and I really can't say why. It is sort of "street" but set in doors, if that makes sense. Just a person going about their business, but coming through those annoying vertical flaps, which in my mind help make the photo.

kath2.jpg

This is a great shot. Gloomy, of nothing but a grey wall and a window. Fits the brief spot on. I love the warm lighting through the window but also wonder why there are cushions or pillows or whatever more or less obscuring the view.

kath3.jpg

I think this is probably my favourite, and is therefore the overall winner. Again, it fits the brief, after all it is just a pair of windows. It looks as though it is cold, wet and misty outdoors, but a warmer glow from inside. The space is unoccupied it appears though, perhaps an empty office or portacabin after everyone has gone home, or something I was very familiar with the arrival at work in the mornings when it is still dark and miserable. An evocative shot.

So Kath, over to you I'm afraid.

Dan S, Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  17. Catriona

Thank you very much - and well done to everyone else who posted some cracking photos!

Kath - be kind!! :)

Zou likes this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well done Kath and well done Nige for sorting it all out. Glad I don't have to confess that mine is a fake. That light was not on and it was clear day.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Phew!

20. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Well done to Kath and a great theme from Nige....