1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September, 2007 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Aug 31, 2007.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments and discussion arising from September's FirstView pictures.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So I've packed three cameras, plus Mrs Zou has the Mju Digital - what are the chances of getting decent enough weather?

The Nikon is loaded with Delta 400, the Pintax has Velvia 100, and I've two rolls of Provia 400X in the bag. I thought I had some slow films left over, but I must have used them all. I might have to see if I can find some Acros 100 between now and tomorrow, as the Pintax is 2/3 through my last roll of Velvia. I can't see it being worthwhile getting more slow colour film...

3. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Brighton Marina

We were out at about 4:45 this morning, down to Brighton to photograph the marina at sunrise. Still to process the rest of the pics, but this is the first!

4. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

Re: Brighton Marina

There's dedication for you. ;) :cool: :D

5. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Or stupidity..... :D

6. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

How's this for stupidity. My missus wanted to go shopping, I said I would go with her as long as we could stop on the way back for me to take some pictures. I ended up getting stung for £40 at BHS Could have been worse I 'spose :rolleyes:

7. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Electro Light Seals

Does it suffer from the Pad of Death breakdown? That's a real pain to replace, I had to do it on my GTN

PoD

8. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Re: Electro Light Seals

Oooh, thanks for that info - I've read most of the Yashica guy's site but must have missed that bit. From the sound of it I'm ok (touch wood), but I know the limits of my skills & I'll get a professional to do it if/when it needs doing!
    It's a really lovely camera to use, and even though I had a few frames fogged on my trial film, I've still got some good shots from the rest of the film.
    Not bad for £4!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

PhilW's image

Looks great from here. The montage thing is nice even when things don't align perfectly.

10. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Re: PhilW's image

I think it works well. Nice one Phil! :cool:

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Electro Light Seals

Mine's a bit sticky too. Suspect I'll be down to cleaning it out at some time....

12. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Re: sorry I forgot!

Oh drat! I completely forgot - my brain does usually switch off on Saturday mornings. :( Lisa.

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Okay folks, the picture thread is now closed, but as usual it can be reopened later in the month for any latecomers - pm me.

Thanks to everyone who participated - I think we stopped the rot for the moment anyway. Obviously there are still five more months of the 2007 FirstView project to run - it would be nice if we could maintain a good level of participation through to the end, and of course whether we can realistically carry on with it and have a 2008 FirstView and beyond will depend on the continued support of forum members.

[​IMG]

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I wonder if the slight upswing is down to your inestimable cajoling or the fact that the 1st was a Saturday for a change......

For those of us with a fairly routine working life there's possibly a limit on what we can find of even vague interest to photograph after a while...

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

But the whole point is that you're just supposed to photograph whatever you are doing on the day - not that you should find something interesting especially for FirstView. If you're doing something special you can photograph that, by all means, but if it's just a routine day, you photograph the routine. It's a pictorial diary of the forum members' activities. And if they're mundane, well, that's life!

I know there's a temptation to show the world what exotic and fascinating lives we lead, but unless that's the reality - and presumably for most of us it isn't - then it would only tend to invalidate the project. Granted, it's not meant to be some grand academically valid piece of research, but if all we do is contribute when we feel we have something particularly interesting to show, then what really is the point? These are forums for photography enthusiasts, so we post pictures like that anyway. FirstView is meant to be something different - a little piece of photographic social documentary, if you like.

16. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

^What he said^

And, in addition, to my mind it should be straight out the camera, sans tweaks and fluffing... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But how many pictures of my work-station can you really stand....... ;) :D

Though I grant it may be of minor documentary interest to observe the ebb and flow of the tidal wave of bumf and rubbish across it...... :D

The point I was trying to make, badly I suspect, is that after a while you will have photographed pretty much all the routine stuff. Indeed the act of photographing your normal routine on the first of every month will itself start to feel routine; we know this often acts against enthusiasm and tends to lead to the "blow it, I can't be bothered" syndrome. This month I actually looked forward to First View if only for the fact that I whatever I photographed would be less humdrum than usual... I suspect I'm not alone...

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Point taken. As I say, I understand the temptation to avoid showing yet another shot of ordinary daily grind. It might be that we will have to take all this sort of thing into consideration when thinking about next year's forum activities - whether we can keep FirstView as it is, or whether we need to try something a bit different. Or even something totally unrelated to FirstView - we'll have to see. At the present I think I'll just be happy if we can keep interest and participation up high enough to see the year out in respectable fashion.

19. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Is this the first First~View with no untidy desk images? ;)

20. Seven

Seven ..or eight

As usual I enjoyed looking through all the takes and I particularly like the ones 'off the cuff':)