1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Seperated at birth?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Jan 17, 2022.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Herewith my Moskva-4 and my recently acquired Super-Ikonta 531/2.

They're... very alike! Very alike indeed, in fact. Famously, the Moskva was a straight copy of the Super Ikonta and, side by side, I can see just how little difference there is.

Apart from the badging, the Ikonta has... well, it's not really Zeiss bumps is it? It's more like a Zeiss rash, or maybe Zeiss pox! It's also got an f3.5 lens as opposed to the Moskva's f4.5, and the Synchro-Compur shutter goes up to 1/500 whereas the Moment-23 is limited to 1/250. The viewfinder is a bit different (both equally squinty, frankly),from the front the biggest practical differences are that the Ikonta focus scale is in feet - obviously for the export market - and the winding knob has a rather neat split key that lifts up, and is markedly easier to use than the Moskva's knurled knob.

From the back there's one more. My Moskva has been modified (rather well) to give all three formats, having originally been 6x6 and 6x9, whereas the Zeiss is 6x4.5 and 6x9, using two red windows. I've got 6x6 and 6x4.5 masks for the Moskva, and they pop straight into the Zeiss without any issues at all.

Now I just need to put some film through the Ikonta...
    IMG_7330.jpg IMG_7324.jpg IMG_7329.jpg

ETA I must sort out a home studio as these pics are gruesome!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's not quite correct. Like the early Kiev, the Moskva was made on Zeiss tools to the Zeiss plans using, in early models, Zeiss components, brought back to the Soviet Union as war reparations.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I should also add that the roller-coaster curvature of the slider that erects the front standard of the Moskva appears to be a considerable improvement over the Ikonta's simple curve when it comes to closing the camera - it is very easy to snag the rangefinder arm of the Super Ikonta on the body, I've never had an issue with the Moskva.