1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sensorpads scratched my 7D's sensor

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jul 6, 2012.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Hello hello hello all, :)

It's been a while since I have posted here and I hope all is well with the forum dwellers here. I have been away from forums for a good while and with other social networking sites now able to provide connections with friends and family the world all over, they (rather "it") became my sole source of social networking online. But I did miss this forum and it's knowledgeable dwellers.

I was in need of an excuse to come back and found one, not a very pleasant one, but basically a few months ago I was cleaning my Minolta 7D which has been in the cupboard for a while, because of my Sony A700 and it's weatherproof rated body, but I have been not as satisfied with the quality of the images as I was with my 7D and that is even comparing with more up to date cameras with loads of pixels. So I took it off the cupboard dusted it off, took some shots, saw some dust and decided to clean it with sensor pads. Disaster! I have a diagonal scracth across the sensor.Anyway, I phoned up the Camera Repair Workshop and they said that they can still repair sensors and they quoted me £140 for replacing the sensor. I was looking for an upgrade from my A700 (and some lenses for another system), but decided that I want to start using my Minolta again and dropped the upgrade idea.

What I am wondering is, has anyone here used the Camera Repair Workshop? How are they like?

Thanks folks! In the meantime I will be nosing around on this all new all singing all dancing forum, it's looking very good!

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Have you asked Sony for a quote - probably no cheaper, but you never know.

(that's assuming they still service Minolta gear.:confused:)

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Are you certain that it is a scratch, not a residue?

4. FujiSigmaNolta

It's definately a scratch, further attempts to clean it were unsuccessful and Sony does not repair Minolta gear anymore.

5. FujiSigmaNolta

OOOh the nosing around here payed off!! I do fancy a bit of that Street Competition with the Fuji as a prize! But do keep on track here please I need some opinions on the Camera Repair Workshop, thanks!

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Dave Boyle gives a first class service I used them when my Minolta XE-1 shutter was sticking, excellent communication and first class job.

7. FujiSigmaNolta

Great, thanks! That's reassuring coming from you Ron! That 7D is still my baby! Anyone else would like to share their experiences?