1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sensor patterns

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by BrianWall, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Sorry if I've posted this here before but I still have this odd pattern of noise on my Canon 7D

[​IMG]

OK, this is a 1:1 and the shadow area is lifted to the max in LR but it doesn't seem right. Why the stripe effect? Any other 7D user ever see this? The ISO was only 200 so I'd expect a clean image even at 1:1. I get the same in Canon's raw prog too so it isn't an artifact of LR. I did meet a Canon rep at a photoshoot earlier this year and gave here some printed examples but she never got back to me.

Am I being picky? Could a fault be responsible or maybe some camera setting ? Any suggestions welcome and again sorry if I asked this many months ago!

2. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

It's a Canon feature. I can get the same with my 5D mk II. It is down to the sensor design mainly. It goes away at higher ISO settings as the read noise of Canon sensors gets lower as the ISO is increased.

3. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's interesting. In real life it isn't visible but it worried me.

4. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

It is a "Uniform Noise Pattern".

This is why the Nikon D3 caused such a stir as the noise generated by the sensor didn't appear in a uniform pattern, but in a random pattern in a similar way that grain appears on film.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As a point of interest do you see the same effect if you do the same thing in Canon's DPP software?

The only time I've seen that sort of banding on my, ageing, Canons is at the highest ISO and sometimes only if I further boost the exposure in post processing.

6. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

The OP mentioned seeing it in canon's software which I took to mean DPP.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Clearly I didn't read the post as well as I thought. Yet another example of my slow collapse into antiquity...:D

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

i have never noticed anything like that on my photos but I would generally discard anything two stops underexposed like this one, plus the shadow slider probably adds another stop