1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sensor Cleaning - DIY or send it away

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dazdmc, Mar 4, 2020.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Ths is bothering me - cleaning a sensor shouldn't take longer than a few minutes, certainly by someone used to doing it (a shop, for example - a camera shop - I've heard mixed reports regarding Sainsburys…)

So, £40 for even 10 minutes, includind a swab and a few drops of Eclipse, works out at £240/hour

OK - I'm convinced - holiday in the SouthWest of France, drop in (I'm not far from Toulouse) free doughnuts, coffee and a sensor clean for £20 - sound reasonable?

Catriona likes this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There are apparently problems with Sony sensors in Sony cameras. The Sony site warn against using brushes and liquid cleaners.

From what I can gather, it's something to do with them continually changing the surface coating. From what I've read, some places will refuse to clean Sony camera sensors.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

probably work with vodka...

4. IanG1957

….or Armagnac (you have to remember where I live…)

In anycase, this comforts me with my choice of NIKON ;)

Catriona likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think Armagnac may well leave a deposit, but I'm not prepared to experiment.A waste of Armagnac.

I can't remember what I use, I think they are "Visible Dust" swabs and fluid. The kits were bought some years ago when there weren't as many options as there are now, looking today I consider the "Visible Dust" products over priced for what they are. There are plenty of other options on Amazon, I need some more but I'll not pay £32 for a pack of swabs from "Visible Dust" when I can get them for £12 from someone else.

When buying from Amazon it is probably best to buy products with a rating.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  6. IanG1957

I have to say, Armagnac (hors d'age is best) never leaves a deposit with me...;)

Yes, but do they come with doughnuts??:p

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You probably don't spill any either.

There weren't any in the packs I bought so that's probably a no.

I am sure your doughnuts are great but I think dazdmc was hoping for something closer to home.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought Nikon got their sensors from Sony.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you will find that:
    1. Nikon have a hand in the design of the sensors
    2. Nikon supply the low-pass filters and it is that, and not the actual sensors, that are the problem with cleaning the "sensor" in a Sony camera.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Can't ALDI do it cheaper?;)

IanG1957 likes this.
  11. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

thanlks again for all the replies, and of course the offer of complimentary doughnuts :)
    I ordered a 12 pack of swabs with a 15ml bottle of cleaner from amazon, made by a company called Rangers. Got delivered same day so last night I cleaned the sensors on my D5300 and D70, took me less than 10 minutes to do both and they are now spotless. Glad I spent a few minutes asking a question in here rather than paying £40 to have it done in the shop. It seemed a fair price at the time but the kit cost me £12 including same day delivery and there's enough left to carry out a further 8 cleanings!!! My only criticism is that the swab isn't quite as wide as the advertised APS-C, it's slightly smaller which means two passes, I don't suppose this matters too much but I'd rather have done it in one go.
    Thanks again for your help and advice.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Glad you did it!
    By the way, I used to keep the fluid in the fridge for safety.

dazdmc likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed that my swabs are narrower than the sensor but then, as I said, I haven't used them often. As I have FX bodies my experience wouldn't necessarily carry over to DX swabs but I do have some and again I don't recall them being narrower than the sensor on a D2. You can always try a different make when you next buy some and see if they are wider but I suspect that by then you will have forgotten exactly what you bought.

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

A Canon APSC sensor is fractionally smaller than a Nikon (DX) one. Perhaps the swabs are sized so that they can also be used on Canons?

15. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

That would make sense actually, there isnt much in it to be honest.