1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensor Cleaning - DIY or send it away

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dazdmc, Mar 4, 2020.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Ths is bothering me - cleaning a sensor shouldn't take longer than a few minutes, certainly by someone used to doing it (a shop, for example - a camera shop - I've heard mixed reports regarding Sainsburys…)

So, £40 for even 10 minutes, includind a swab and a few drops of Eclipse, works out at £240/hour

OK - I'm convinced - holiday in the SouthWest of France, drop in (I'm not far from Toulouse) free doughnuts, coffee and a sensor clean for £20 - sound reasonable?

Catriona likes this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There are apparently problems with Sony sensors in Sony cameras. The Sony site warn against using brushes and liquid cleaners.

From what I can gather, it's something to do with them continually changing the surface coating. From what I've read, some places will refuse to clean Sony camera sensors.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

probably work with vodka...

4. IanG1957

….or Armagnac (you have to remember where I live…)

In anycase, this comforts me with my choice of NIKON ;)

Catriona likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think Armagnac may well leave a deposit, but I'm not prepared to experiment.A waste of Armagnac.

I can't remember what I use, I think they are "Visible Dust" swabs and fluid. The kits were bought some years ago when there weren't as many options as there are now, looking today I consider the "Visible Dust" products over priced for what they are. There are plenty of other options on Amazon, I need some more but I'll not pay £32 for a pack of swabs from "Visible Dust" when I can get them for £12 from someone else.

When buying from Amazon it is probably best to buy products with a rating.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  6. IanG1957

I have to say, Armagnac (hors d'age is best) never leaves a deposit with me...;)

Yes, but do they come with doughnuts??:p

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You probably don't spill any either.

There weren't any in the packs I bought so that's probably a no.

I am sure your doughnuts are great but I think dazdmc was hoping for something closer to home.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought Nikon got their sensors from Sony.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you will find that:
    1. Nikon have a hand in the design of the sensors
    2. Nikon supply the low-pass filters and it is that, and not the actual sensors, that are the problem with cleaning the "sensor" in a Sony camera.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Can't ALDI do it cheaper?;)

IanG1957 likes this.
  11. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

thanlks again for all the replies, and of course the offer of complimentary doughnuts :)
    I ordered a 12 pack of swabs with a 15ml bottle of cleaner from amazon, made by a company called Rangers. Got delivered same day so last night I cleaned the sensors on my D5300 and D70, took me less than 10 minutes to do both and they are now spotless. Glad I spent a few minutes asking a question in here rather than paying £40 to have it done in the shop. It seemed a fair price at the time but the kit cost me £12 including same day delivery and there's enough left to carry out a further 8 cleanings!!! My only criticism is that the swab isn't quite as wide as the advertised APS-C, it's slightly smaller which means two passes, I don't suppose this matters too much but I'd rather have done it in one go.
    Thanks again for your help and advice.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Glad you did it!
    By the way, I used to keep the fluid in the fridge for safety.

dazdmc likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed that my swabs are narrower than the sensor but then, as I said, I haven't used them often. As I have FX bodies my experience wouldn't necessarily carry over to DX swabs but I do have some and again I don't recall them being narrower than the sensor on a D2. You can always try a different make when you next buy some and see if they are wider but I suspect that by then you will have forgotten exactly what you bought.

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

A Canon APSC sensor is fractionally smaller than a Nikon (DX) one. Perhaps the swabs are sized so that they can also be used on Canons?

15. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

That would make sense actually, there isnt much in it to be honest.