1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Secure code for all your pin numbers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I often get asked in one or more groups how can you remember your pin numbers to all your pins.

Simple

I write the numbers on the back of my cards, bank, credit etc.

Here is how to do it

YEARS ago I chose a word with TEN letters none repeating, give each a number

Image1.jpg

NO that is not mine in case some fool thought it.

Now if your PIN number for your card is say 7591 then write HRCA on your card. another card could be 5218 RFAO

You could make it easier by changing all your cards to the same pin if you wish, I have lost cards no problem.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A substitution cipher

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have never forgotten a PIN. Having said that they are all 1234 which it makes it easy.

Zou and Stephen Rundle like this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Idiot! 1111 is much more secure!

Zou likes this.
  5. dream_police

And if you forget it and get it backwards it'd still work. Good idea.

Zou and Stephen Rundle like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Kodak used to use CAMEROSITY on their folders I believe.

S

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Actually something I was never told but found out myself is checking numbers

To check a number is correct when you are for instance paying a persons bank and want to make sure it is the right number

Enter it

Now.... confirm it "backwards" against the original

If you check it as usual ... forwards you CAN make the same mistake, however when reading it in reverse you 100% always pick up on any errors

8. Stephen Rundle

However one stupid checkout person really got me annoyed, she, in front of a queue of people commented that "You do know you are not allowed to write on your cards don't you"

Wrong person to not only be rude to but in front of others, big mistake when I asked for her supervisor.

Also there is nothing to stop you telling others your pin number, there are countless disabled people, dementia, autistic, MND who rely on carers and son on daily, you just have to accept that if any loss is traced to tem it is not recoverable, however, you can tell the bank

9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Your example has no zero but you don't need ten ;);)

MickLL

10. steveandthedogs

Not necessarily stupid.
    Ignorant of a rule, perhaps, but that is not the same as stupid. I wouldn't have considered her comment as "rude" as written here.

S

Zou, RogerMac and MJB like this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Even the stupid ones aren't daft. One customer's card will have well and truly been marked.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I like what Americans (used to?) do in the absence of chip and PIN - instead of signing the card one could write "check ID" in the box. Not infallible but better than nothing.

13. Stephen Rundle

Yes it does, 10 remove the 1, sorry thought that was ............ :)

14. Stephen Rundle

No, it was rude because she showed me up in a queue of people,

15. steveandthedogs

That is not the same as rude.

She may have believed you aren't allowed to write on a card and was trying to help you.

S

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It is very unlikely to be illegal to write on a CC but it is highly likely that the bank's T&Cs ban it, this could give the bank an excuse for refusing a refund if a fraudster does get through your skimpy defenses

17. dream_police

Is your name Karen or its male equivalent?

Zou, MJB, steveandthedogs and 3 others like this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am an engineer, I count zero, one, two, three...

AndyTake2 and RogerMac like this.
  19. dream_police

Perhaps it would be easier if we don't talk to people and believe we are being helpful on the off chance we may offend.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whether or not it is rude will depend upon how she said it. For example, if she spoke quietly with the intention that only you would hear it probably isn't rude and may have been an attempt to be helpful. If she said it loudly I suggest it was insensitive, rude? Possibly but that probably wasn't the intention. It can be very easy to misread people's intentions, sometimes it is better to ignore a slight than to make an issue of it, the vast majority of people do not mean any harm.

MJB and dream_police like this.