1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Second Hand Digital Cameras article

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Sep 8, 2012.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was actually quite pleased to see the Fujifilm S3 rather than the S5, up for suggestion as a camera of choice in this months feature on second hand digital cameras. In my opinion the S3 in image quality still beats the S5 despite other advantages that the latter brings. While the article/review is pretty good, there were a few negatives pointed out in it that I as a user of this camera for 7 years or so beg to differ strongly. One was about that the camera's SR II sensor was susceptible to purple fringing. In all my years of use, I have only encountered that in a hand full of situations and it was due to my lens which was a Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC, which in certain situations it would cause some fringing. I never encountered that with any of my Nikon glass or borrowed Nikon glass. The other point which I found quite astonishing was that the camera would erratically report depleted batteries and that AA batteries were a concern. Again, in all my years of using this camera I have always felt this was a major advantage over other cameras and with good NiMh batteries the battery life was nothing short of stellar. Back then I could easily reach 700 shots with a set of 4 Jessops 2100NiMh (which were run of the mill) and currently I have a set of Vapextech 2900 NiMh batteries that gives well over 1000 shots. Sometimes, I even forget them in the camera for long periods of time, as I also use other systems and I come back to it and still have a full day's shooting. I never had the camera reporting battery levels innacurately, if anything can be pointed out is that the readout could be more specific, but with this camera a depleted battery was always a depleted battery. One other point was resolution. While I agree to a certain extent that the images would not live up to its 12MP rating, this would also very much depend on lens and ISO settings. With my Nikon 50mm f1.8 at ISO 100, I have had them at the 12MP setting and very comparable to the competition. If it lost on resolution it would win on colour and Dynamic Range. In fact, I have had them with the most stringent (at the time) photo libraries and they were accepted at interpolated 17MP.
    As for the point that compared to modern CMOS technology it would lose out in Dynamic Range, it's something that I myself owning a Sony A700 with DRO technology, I am not too sure, perhaps tothe very current crop of DSLRs but whenever I see images online with DR examples, I am still not quite convinced if this is the case. While there may be certainly some, I think it still beats a good number of cameras in this respect.

While it may be no speed champ, levelling this criticism at it would also be levelling it at the Nikon F80 on which it is based (and many find it excellent). Switching off DR settings will literally turn it into a digital F80 and still output stellar images. It is an excellent tool, capable of incredible images and I would thoroughly recommended with asking prices between £250 and £400, it is a stellar piece of kit. It may have been the case that your sample perhaps had issues, being second hand equipment.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I thought the article was sadly lacking; to pick out three Nikon-based SLRs and a Canon Bridge camera was a poor choice, IMHO.

The Nikon D2X was a good professional camera in its day, as was the Canon 1DS, but both were out of reach of most photographers; so you may say that they are now a bargain, but, being professional cameras, they have probably been heavily used, and the poor ISO range on the D2X would not endear it to modern photographers.

The Fujifilm S3Pro is an oddball - a Fujifilm camera with Nikon optics - surely a better choice would have been something like the Canon EOS 30D, a semi-professional camera that can be picked up for around £250 currently, and a much more popular choice.

The Nikon D90 should never have been included, as it is a still-current camera; and it certainly doesn't sir between the D3100 and D5100.

As for the Canon Powershot G6, it has been superceded by the G7, G9, G10 and G11; surely one of these would have been a better choice?

3. FujiSigmaNolta

An oddball but in terms of image quality I dare say more capable than the 30D. The S3 pro was a semi pro camera and as for saying a Fujifilm camera with Nikon optics is off the mark. The S3pro was a Nikon F80 body only the sensor, a few other bits and processing were Fujifilm, everything else was Nikon, but I agree that it should have included more variety, but for what those cameras still represent I think it was appropriate. For example, the D2x has the incident meter that works together with its 1,005 pixel RGB color meter sensor that continuously measures reflected light from the the scene being viewed among other things. The S3pro had the Wide Dynamic range that still beats many cameras today and the film simulations. I have to say monochrome in that camera is also very good.

I guess it was about what they offered for your money.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I found fairly severe fringing, particularly at the wide end, when I tried the Nikkor 18-135 on my S3. The 18-70 had none that I could see, and the 16-85 VR had very little.

I always considered the AA batteries to be an advantage of the S3 - you can get a spare set of NiMH for around a fiver, or keep a set of "emergency" disposable lithiums in the bag forever. They certainly give you a lot more power options than the proprietary Li-ion packs of most DSLRs, some manufacturers even try to lock out 3rd party batteries.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

That's pretty hopeless comapred to the Canons I've had though. Tomorrow I hope to get close to 10,000 shots and even on my old backup camera I'd expect to need only one battery.

By the sounds of it I'd need a rucksack full of batteries if I had an S3!

6. FujiSigmaNolta

10,000 on a single shot!? Dayum!! :-D when I meant over 1000 shots I meant in a single charge. If your Canons are doing 10,000 on a single charge, that's some zero point Energy source you got there, you should share that with the world!! ;-) :-D

7. FujiSigmaNolta

Some people say the 18-70 is among the best lens/glass ever for digital Nikons. My 50 never showed any nor my cheapo but very Nice 75-240 and that's a film lens.

I have to add that my S3pro was bought from the US and came with firmware 2.33 which was never released in Europe. Dunno if that makes a difference but I doubt it. It costed me a Little over half what it cost here and that's with customs tax included.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The Fujis were/still are favourites of wedding photographers: good colour AND good contrast control straight out of the camera. Think posters above are right in that a lens can bring its own colouration and colour faults to a body/lens combo.

The Nikkor 18-70 must be up for the title of best ever kit lens. :) Any other contenders? :confused:

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

10K in a single shift should be do-able (I've done over 8K before)....a fairly long day and my left wrist, trigger finger and lower back will no doubt be aching by the end of it but if my battery is working properly I'll maybe use half it's capacity. The batteries in my DSLRs can usually keep shooting for longer than I can:eek:

Usage wise it's AF, usually AE, single shot, small JPEGs and as much chimping as there's time for between riders and mars bars....no flash, no bursts of shots and no big files to read and write.

10. FujiSigmaNolta

Well then, All I have in its defense left is its massive 25MB Raw files and AF illuminator inherited from the Nikon F80 which is like a lighthouse, also its dual card slots :-D that may account to what you may call a short battery Life, I personally think it's awesome. I tend to Pack up my Jobs after 250-400 shots. Then the rest is Just play. 8000 shots is an awful lot in One charge, I didn't know Canon batteries have gone that far. But on Reading your posts Just want to make sure that I am referring to AA NimH and a set is 4 batteries, unless I am missing something.

11. FujiSigmaNolta

Forgive my confusion but even the modern 7D battery is rated to 800 shots max, CIPA rated, in almost All the review sites, I Just checked, as I Said,maybe I'm missing something...

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I've got 2,500 shots out of one and still had charge to spare on one occasion - I would rate them at 1000 shots minimum, TBH. Depends how you use the camera, though.

I've no particular issue with any of the cameras on their own, but to only have Nikon-mount DSLRs is more than a little bizarre, TBH.

13. FujiSigmaNolta

I Wonder how these things are decided sometimes. But on a side note, using the S3pro on the street it's pretty Nice also on Jobs for One other thing that is seldom mentioned, it's shutter is whisper quiet for a SLR. It's quite well dampened.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Indeed - that's why I felt it worth adding a bit info about the type of usage as it's likely to be different for others.

Suspect I'd get even more shots out a battery with a macro lens I use in manual but I've not got anywhere near enough storage space to find out how many RAWs it can shoot:D

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Agree it was a bit lazy not to include a Canon and maybe some other makes and cameras.

I recall seeing some superb, full-page/full bleed landscapes in AP - last year? - from a guy using a 20D with a Sigma superwide.