1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Second" camera - a manual compact?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Snowflake, May 25, 2010.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Yowza - thank you all for all these really helpful suggestions, feedback is great.

Zou : Yup, def want a digital - just easier for me these days, though still have my Dad's old film SLR!

Atavar : Cannot find HP cameras in any shops - only online, v strange ... not a UK popular brand? Not based in London, so not great deal choice here in the West Country. Still looking at websites :)

Have been pondering over last few days about my actual needs - thinking perhaps the whole point of the "second" camera is to keep it in the pocket to whip out as and when - so am thinking compromising on manual functions for something that is literally with me all the time. In all reality, if i was looking to spend time altering manually, it would probably be on an occasion when i would plan to have my DSLR with me anyway. Also, budget wise, thinking i really want to spend around £100 rather than put that towards something more expensive : save the expenditure for my precious DSLR ... i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want a macro lens, pretty please!

Couple mentions from colleagues of the Canon Ixus 105 - is this a bit too basic to discuss here on this site? Am I in the wrong place saying something like that to all my helpful and friendly officionadoes out there ?? :)

And so back to the t'interweb and more trawling - and a search for the elusive shops that stock HP compacts !

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

HP stopped tradeing in digital cameras in 2007. They make computers and printers as a main and the cameras they used to make were made from parts made outside the company, i heared an older model had a sony sensor and pentax glass... but that was then... They came back 2009/10 but they have yet to get a name for themselves again, so i presume you'll not be able to get your hands on a tester model, i doubt even pc world would have them in. :( I suspect it would be a bit too much of a gamble with your money until they can make a bigger splash - even one in depth review would be useful :-s Sorry i couldn't help, but the option is out there if you find you need it.

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

I really appreciate what you sent through though - and it made me really think about what it is i actually want : hmm, and people tell me i spend far too much time thinking about things ... you think ?!

Thanks again! x :D

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Now who was it who made those neat little and rather elegant half frame jobs? I suspect that prices will have recently risen since the manufacturer introduced a nostalgic digital version; the latter is only ten times over budget with a decent lens.
    Rollei 35 or Rollei B35 were also small. Did Minox do 35mm compacts as well as the pretty useless 16mm toy spy cameras?
    Voightlaender made 35mm folders. I really wanted one of those in their day but never did buy one.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I still say go for this.. try Tesco online, or Fuji UK's own online shop
    [​IMG]

6. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

A720IS - nice little camera (very sharp, wide zoom range, quite good, although not brilliant, manual controls)

7. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Yea my daughter has a A470, 40 quid from CEX, great little camera that outperforms my Panasonic FZ7!

8. kjhants

kjhants Member

sigma dp1s ! got one myself for exactly the same reason (i dont have a handbag myself)fits into a jacket pocket & has full manual control ,no is, no zoom, just like a mini dslr, & you may be suprised by some of the beautifull photos that you get.
    hope this helps.
    regards keith