1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Second" camera - a manual compact?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Snowflake, May 25, 2010.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Hi
    Anyone any advice?
    Am currently doing the SPI Foundation in Photography Course (Module 2 underway!) and I have a Nikon D40, which i bought a few years ago and am only now starting to use to its full capabilities ;-)
    HOWEVER, i have some cash (about £100) that i want to use/put towards a compact (fully manual so i can carry on learning with it), that i can chuck in my bag and carry around with me all the time - am finding the DSLR a little cumbersome for that (or i suppose i COULD buy a bigger handbag instead?!) :D
    Can anyone shove me in the right direction before i start sifting through all these millions of web pages ...

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Usually only expensive advanced compacts have manual but a quick google has thrown up one within your price range -

HP SB360 - (you'll have to google for it as i don't want to infringe the commercial links rule.)

It says its got manual mode and is about your budget, i've not been able to find another camera that cheap with manual but then i've not had any expiriance of this model either.

Good luck with your search and hope i've helped. :)

EDIT - Actually, looking at the HP range they claim to have manual in more than just that one, there appear to be cheaper with manual too.

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Hi - thanks for that, its a start. I didnt think i would get anything near what i need for £100 (so expecting to put it towards something that suits) but i will check this out

Cheers :)

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've been prodding the internet, check out the HP CB350 - its cheaper, at least.

EDIT and the cheapest the HP CA350. The differeence is in their spect, i'll post a youtube vid for them if i can find any. It may not be a perfect camera but the manual is there.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Could you see any reviews for them? Reviews sections seem blank?

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Sorry, i've only found shop reviews which are just glorified adverts. There are 3 coustomer reviews for the cheapest one on Amazon but are they don't say anything about the manual controls.

Looks like the major differences between the 3 models are the bottom two have AA batteries, the bottom one has 10mp not 12mp and the top two have a bigger screen. Manual is apparently present in all.

I hope other people know of other affordable manual compacts to give you a better choice :)

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Try before you buy to see how easy it is to use the manual setting. If it involves scrolling through menus to set, say shutter speed (or exposure compensation as a surrogate), then useability may not be good depending on how the menu system works and its visibility in daylight.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Re: OT - Re: "Second" camera - a manual compact?

These are helpful though, thanks for the effort you have put it! So much choice out there isn't there? I'm one of these people who likes to read up everything i can before i buy!

12. Snowflake

Snowflake Member

Thats a good point - i guess i need to go find one and check it out first. The whole point of getting a smaller compact is to be quick and easy, but also still let me do my coursework and simple shots when i'm out and about, without having to rely on Auto.

13. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

You could also check out Ebay for a Olympus C5060 or a Nikon 5400. Bought from a Powerseller you can't go wrong and they go for £50-£95. Loads of features to help you develop and loads of manual control (M mode included).

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Fuji F60fd if you can find one :)

15. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I think you should try a couple of 'manual' compacts, if you expect them to act like you DSLR you may be a little disappointed. The effect of differential focus and shallow depth of field at wide apertures is much less than you are used to with your DSLR.
    My advice would be to try out the camera (s) in a shop, shoot some jpg pictures to a card and take them home to look at on your PC, then decide if a compact can do what you want.

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Why not look at a second hand Canon Powershot A-series. Some of them have full manual control, I know the A540 I had did, also the A720is. Look on eBay first.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Does it have to be digital? If not, that opens up a world of possibilities...

18. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Good point. How about a Holga or a Lomo?

19. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I second that! What about a Zorki 4K with two lenses or a Fed 4? On Ebay too... :) It will live cash to spare for film...

20. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to fly the flag for hp, and not that its an alternative to actually trying one hands on, but the manual here says its as simple as clicking the directional pad while in manual mode:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01982077.pdf

Page 38.

The one manual compact that instantly springs to mind is the Canon G11, but at over £400 from one highstreet chain its one to save up for.

Very good point there, the smaller the chip the wider the depth of field. Good for macro (although the built in lenses arn't) as more is in focus.