1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD14

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Mario, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Hi, I have been playing with a SD 14. Black and white images from it are superb but color is disappointing me. There seems to be a fair bit of color noise, its very noticeable in the shadows and darker areas. I've played with the RAW converter in CS2 but to not much avail. Is this a common problem with the SD14?

Its a shame if it is as for build, ease of use, sharpness and B&W Im pretty impressed but color just looks dodgy to me.. Anyone?

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

All sorted now.. Updated the firmware and software and its much better... Im impressed!

3. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

probably get flamed for this but would suggest you go to the Sigma Forum on www.dpreview.com as there are some very experienced SD camera users there with a wealth of knowledge and also lots of helpfull info to get the best from the SD14 camera

Keith.

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have it sorted. If there's one thing the Foveon should be good at it's the colour.

5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Yea... I must admit the colors are superb now and the 'feel' of the pictures is great.

It was a strange one TBH.. I thought there was something wrong with the camera at first but it would seem that CS2 although compatible with the RAW format does something fairly odd to them that creates blocks of color like a heavily compressed JPEG. Maybe this is why some of the folks gave it poor reviews?!

6. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

the raw converter that came with CS2 was not compatible with the SD14 thats why the Sigma users kept saying only to use Sigma's SPP that came with the camera, the latest 2 versions of Adobe Camera raw are compatible with the SD14. Yes you are correct thats why some people did give it a bad review they were either shooting jpegs which were pretty rubbish untill Firmware V1.04 or they were using the raw converter from CS2 that was compatible with the SD9 and 10 but not the SD14. A lot of the Sigma SD14 users are now using Lightroom again with the latest version of ACR or Raw Developer (think its Mac only though. Sigma has had a few issues with their Photo Pro software and if you go to the Sigma SD14 website you'll find a different version of Photo Pro for you to download, thinks its version 2.3 this appears to fix a lot of the software issues and bugs and is well worth downloading as will save you a lot of headaches. Also make sure you have the latest firmware V1.05 as this gives you ISO50 but becarefull on doing a firmware upgrade, Only do it with a FULLY CHARGED BATTERY or the mains adaptor, also format the CF memory card in camera. hope this is of some help
    May be there will be more Sigma SD14 users appearing seeing as the price has dropped to £699 ( £499 in Jessops sale) and you can also claim £200 cash back from Sigma UK for any SD14 brought between Dec and end of February so make it £299 if you buy it from Jessops, must be the best bargain of the season at the moment.

Keith.

7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Indeed.. I actually got mine with a lens, filter and cloth thrown into the bargain! £299 for the lot when I get the cash back.. seems crazy to me!

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, did you get it from Jessies? They seem to be advertising it body only.

9. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Yea... they seem to have withdrawn the offer of a lens and bits for the moment.. keep your eyes peeled though. It went off the site for a couple of days before and then came back! Well worth it IMO.

10. Mojo_66

I will cheers, the one thing putting me off is the Sigma SA mount and having to buy more lenses when I have a Canon system.

11. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.. I had the same dilemma but I was only buying it as a much better alternative to a compact so I wouldn't have been able to use my Canon glass on anyway! It may be worth having a look on ebay to see if they do a mount convertor... I haven't got round to doing so yet but it may well be an option.

12. Mojo_66

I had a quick look on ebay but couldn't see anything. Did find this site though that seems to have loads of information on the camera. It appears the back focus distance on the SD14 is exactly the same as on an EOS, so theoretically it should be possible.

13. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

The Sigma SA mount is actually a clone of the canon mount,the protocols and registration distance are exactly the same you can if you want to, take the mount off your canon lens unsolder the contact block and then resolder the contact block to a sigma SA mount and then screw the SA mount to your canon lens. the only function that will not work is the image stablisation.
    there is loads of info on this conversion and others on the Sigma forum on DPreview. have a look for posts by DaSigmaGuy there as he has converted loads of different lenses to work on the Sigma SD cameras inc Contax, Mamiya, Nikon, Canon, Pentax M42 and others. a couple of guys have also modified Canon teleconversters to SA mount so the don't have to modify the actual canon lens all they've done is mount the canon lens on to a canon teleconverter and then just change the mount to SA
    hope this is some help

Keith.

14. Mojo_66

Thanks for that, sounds interesting, though I'd rather not butcher my lenses, I'd still like to use them on my old Canon!

15. kjhants

kjhants Member

try www.silkypix "brilliant" it removes all that green chroma noise .
    keith