1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Cards false damaged warnings

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Max resist, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Max resist

Max resist Well-Known Member

Quite often my blank SD cards cause a warning message to pop up in my my Nikon DSLR
    reading' Card is damaged'ie throw away or use another.
    After some fiddling with the slide lock and or wiping the contacts it becomes useable again magically.
    Im getting tired of this as I cannot trust these expensive cards.
    These cards have not been subjected to rigourous use or abuse.
    I think the brand was Sandisk Ultra 8GB.Gold.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A SanDisk 16GB Extreme card can be bought from My Memory for under £10. I can't even find any 8GB cards. My inclination would be to just buy a couple of new ones.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If it is the contacts getting dirty, minimise removal from camera (use USB for file transfer for example).

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Happened to me for the first time a few days ago (Nikon DF). When I opened the hatch in the bottom of the camera, the card all but fell out. Shoved it back in: no problem.

Cheers,

R.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

A similar thing happened to me after I accidentally launched my first DSLR (A Fujifilm Finepix S1 Pro - Nikon F lens fitting) across a bar and watched in horror as it bounced along he wooden floor like one of Mr Barnes Wallis' bombs before hitting a wall. A quick turn-on of the thing revealed nothing but error messages on the display, so I shoved it back into my bag and couldn't bring myself to look at it.

I couldn't bring myself to touch the thing until after I'd bought myself a replacement camera (a Nikon D40x back in those days). When I finally sat down and tried to work out how badly I'd damaged the Fuji I opened up the card compartment and found that the 1GB microdrive memory had come loose. I re-fitted it and the camera worked perfectly - in fact it still works perfectly today!

Cheers, Jeff

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

More likely to be your camera if it happens with more than one card.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Still worth buying another card, £10 is significantly cheaper than a new camera.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There were issues over fake Sandisk cards a while ago, I don't know whether this still applies.

9. Max resist

Um this doesn't happen often but obviously I don't want to rely on something that might malfunction and lose
    pics.
    Ive found very big storage cards eg 64GB etc are more prone to this sort of thing-as if they cant cope fully with all the data.
    10 pounds is a lot to me and the card is nearly new.
    Hmm yes possible it could be the camera a Nikon,it is playing up a bit like sometimes not taking pics
    when set up etc .
    Who knows?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You what?

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

So: You have a camera you know to be defective, and you're worried about it being the card...

Is there a limit on the card memory size? Some older cameras can use only quite small cards.

Personally I regard 8 GB as pretty big: I'd rather spread the risk across several 8, 4 and even 2GB cards than put all my eggs in one 64GB basket.

Cheers,

R.

nimbus likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

SanDisk cards have a lifetime guarantee you should contact them and see whether they will replace it. However, if it is a camera fault they won't want to know.

You are formatting the cards in the camera aren't you? If not that may be the problem, you should always format cards in the camera, never in a computer or card reader.

Who knows? Engineers use troubleshooting procedures to find out so let me write you one.
    Switch the camera off
    Remove the current card and insert a different one
    Switch the camera on - Does the message appear as soon as you switch the camera on?
    Yes: Repeat the above steps with another card
    No: Format the card in the camera and take some pictures
    If there are any problems, note the conditions and setting in use when it doesn't work.

If several cards produce the same problem it is likely to be the camera but see above re formatting cards.

13. Max resist

Its a crazy maker.
    An other message I get when card is in a computer is "This card needs to be formatted before you can use it".
    Even though its full up!
    Take it out ram it harder back into the card reader slot and bingo problem vanished!
    The message appeared in the camera when the card was inserted.
    The message dissappeared when the camera had been switched on and off rapidly.
    I have had photos vanish using perfectly good SD cards.
    Photos that went black and refused to playback,
    Ive even read professional critic admissions that SD cards are not perfect and have a mind of their own.
    I know human nature doesnt like to admit something isnt perfect.
    Ive even lost whole SD card contents after sticking it in one of those High Street develop your prints machines-
    apparently they are a breeding ground for viruses.
    Just syaing and am sure am not the only one.
    You probably cant go much wrong starting with a brand new card and formatting it in the camera.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Which Nikon camera do you have?
    Have you virus checked your computer?

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think we have found the problem.

16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Push firmly into the slot!

17. Max resist

Nikon D3200

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud to clean card contacts.
    Some cards get dirty - this reduces conductivity, and therefore computers and cameras don't recognise or use them properly.
    Putting a card with dirty contacts into a camera or reader will transfer the crud to the device, ramming it in may temporarily clean a part of the contact, but you will ultimately damage either the card, or more importantly, the camera.
    If you haven't got isopropyl alcohol, use a bit of vodka.

And DO NOT do it whilst there is a battery in the camera

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or tomato juice and celery in your vodka.

AndyTake2 likes this.