1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Screw extension

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by medavidcook, Jul 20, 2019.

1. medavidcook

medavidcook Well-Known Member

Hello,

Long shot,

I shoot with a hand strap which screws into the base of the camera, I am wondering if there is an extension or something so I can screw the plate for the tripod without having to unscrew the hand strap.

Thanks

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are (or were) bars that screw into the tripod socket and provide 2 sockets. I'm not sure I'd want to trust a camera to a strap attached to one of those bars though. There's just far too much chance of something coming loose. In any case the lugs are where you should be attaching straps. If you need to swap straps quickly I can recommend the Op/Tech system which I use for my larger cameras: https://optechusa.com/

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Blackrapid do some (over-priced) tripod plates that come with their screw in attachment point. How does your wrist strap attach to the screw?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Surely it only takes a few seconds to swap the strap for a plate?

Plates are best kept on the tripod QR to avoid them getting lost. Though, thus said, I've managed to lose my monopod somewhere with a plate on a camera so I'm one plate up at the moment.

I tend to render my camera "strapless" when using a tripod or monopod because the strap gets in the way. I use a conventional strap on the lugs and once you've done and undone it a few times it isn't the horrid fight experienced putting a new strap on a new camera.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

If your tripod QR is an Aria compatible there are a few designs of plate that have a strap loop built in. So you can leave the plate on all the time.
    Failing that you could use a section of webbing with a D ring & a hole for the bolt to go between the camera & QR plate to give a anchor point for the strap. Again leaving the QR plate on all the time.

Any QR plate that's not left on constantly is actually a slow release & should be avoided!