1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Brightness When Editing

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by YoshiK1, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have never purchased a colour printer to use with my PC, simply because I wouldn't use it enough to make it worth the expense (or more accurately, buying the inks/dyes which are the major long term cost).

I have used the Jessops service, and a local 'Kodak lab' in a photographic/frame shop for the last few years, and found that as long as I have carefully adjusted my monitor (as per my earlier entries above) the prints I get usually turn out as required. The only caveats are that I prepare the JPG file from the RAW image (for colour balance, brightness and contrast and mild sharpening) and always make it slightly too bright for viewing on the monitor, and that I then make sure that any automated 'image enhancement' is turned off when the print is done. Jessops and the local 'Kodak lab' allow this.

The need to have the printing image slightly brighter than looks best on the monitor appears to relate to the fact that the printed image is only viewed by reflected light so some brightness and contrast is lost in this process. This is exactly the opposite of what I did for many years when getting Jessops Cibachrome prints from Kodachrome slides - then the best prints came from slightly underexposed slides.

Last December I ordered two A2 calendars via the Jessops website (26 different 51 x 42 cm images) when they were on promotion. I am very happy with the colour balance and brightness/contrast of all the images. There are some flaws on a few of the images, but these are due to the size of the JPG file uploaded (images from my old 10 megabit DSLR don't look as good as those from my current 16 megabit DSLR at this size).

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This 2014 thread got hijacked. The hijack is lost and the responses are back to the 2014 question.