1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Scanning archived negatives

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by swanseadave, Sep 12, 2020.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m just picking up where I left off a couple of years ago on the mammoth task of digitising all my negs and slides,when I came across some well exposed 35mm BW negs.In trying to id the film in question I spotted the word Panchromatic over the sprocket holes.There`s no other clue on the negs.
    I have no memory of using panchromatic film but they are mine dating to probably 1976 or 1977 some of which
    are clearly my wife and then infant son who`s now 46.
    Not scanned them yet but should make good prints eventually.

Anybody know who produced panchromatic film besides Kodak?

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It's a type of monochrome emulsion that should be sensitive to all the colours of the visible spectrum, unlike some older monochrome film emulsions that were less sensitive to red (orthochromatic). Most film manufacturers made this type of film, and by the 1970s it would have been the 'standard' type on sale.

These links might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchromatic_film#:~:text=A panchromatic emulsion produces a,to certain wavelengths of light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthochromasia

3. swanseadave

Thank you for those links,very enlightening.:)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, there was a generic 125 ASA pan film made by 3m and sold under numerous brands. I think that just had "Panchromatic" on the film edge.

5. swanseadave

"If I recall correctly, there was a generic 125 ASA pan film made by 3m and sold under numerous brands. I think that just had "Panchromatic" on the film edge."

As do these negs and I`ve just discovered using a loupe that the word"Boots"also appears alongside Panchromatic.
    I presume that Boots did not manufacture their own film so I still don`t know who made it.There`s no indication of speed.
    It could very well be 3ms.There was in Swansea a 3Ms factory making,I believe,film and magnetic tape.I don`t know if the factory still exists.

Unfortunately it`s just three strips of four so some strips have been lost,unless it was a 12 exposure roll.
    I think I remember rolls of 12 exp films being available back in the day.Am I right in this memory?

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think that's quite likely. Boots also sold 1/4" audio tape and cassette tapes under their own brand at one time, so a connection with 3M seems probable.

7. swanseadave

Sorry for the delay Andrew.Yes I do recall Boots selling tapes.
    I recall buying a Boots Chrome audio cassette way back for a music project I`d set myself.
    It had an overpowering Acetone kind of smell that didn`t fade over time.
    Compared with TDK which I usually used the quality was very poor.