1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scanner vs Camera/macro lens

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Zou, Jul 3, 2021.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Have you experimented with the sharpening settings in darktable? As I recall, the default settings weren't so great. I'm no expert (and it was a while ago), but IIRC, I tried radius: 1, amount: 2, threshold: 1.

If that doesn't improve things, I guess you might just try jacking around a little with the sliders........ you never know, you might hit upon settings that you like.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The files size probably has little effect as they are probably expanded to the same pixel count x3 x bit depth internally, however they are stored. Factor two difference if one route is 8 bit and the other 16.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seems snappier refreshing changes from the smaller file though?

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Currently playing around with darktable to convert raw files to tif, then stitching with hugin. If this works well, I think 5x4 'scanning' will have suddenly become a lot easier. As it stands I scan in two strips and stitch but there isn't a proper film holder for this on my scanner, which wasn't designed for LF. So neg straight onto light box will likely end up flatter/sharper.