1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Satnav's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ours will send us off in a different direction if there has been an accident or a build up of traffic. We ignored it once and sat on the M1 for six hours watching helicopters and fire engines try to unravel an almightly car crash. That said, there's now an indication on the satnav itself that there's a delay and a symbol to explain what the delay is and to my knowledge it has never sent us a weird way for no good reason. Mind you, I have noticed that when attempting to get to the 'local' hospital in Paisley it has taken me about six different routes the last six times.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Where does the Satnav gets its information from regarding slow traffic/accidents/roadworks etc? Ours updates itself regularly en route so I'm guessing htere's a live feed of some sort with that information. Could someone be feeding it incorrect information? To divert traffic away from them? For a joke? Out of badness?

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

They get it from the likes of you for one. The speed of traffic, hold ups etc from mobile phone data is used to help. There are ones such as Waze, where users can input in real time incidents and hold ups.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I only have an old one without all the modern functions. But it has saved me a couple of times and does the job.

5. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day, when going on long road trips to get to our holiday destination, I would sit down with paper, pen and map and plan my route, which included rest stops along the way.

Ahhh... those were the days.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. Mind you, we'd have this thread titled S'atnavs as well... :p

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That thought had occurred to me too! But it's happened when I've screwed my head round, and can't see anything yet (FWIW my distance vision is better than normal - sayeth the opticians) - the A34 is all long curves, and the blue light vehicle has been way round the curve before still judging by how long it's taken for it to appear. I can understand that lorries might spot them in the mirrors first as their mirrors are much higher, but it's often cars that start pulling over.

8. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Both the sat nags I've had, different makes have suffered from the same fault in that all they seem to say is 'turn around when convenient' My current one also for some reason started to receive over the air route amendments after I'd had it for a year which does give me the option (between shouting at it) to vary my route as it happens. Being a map enthusiast I've only ever used one as 'advice' which probably explains why on the possibly 2 occasions a year I use it we argue, much to my wife's disgust.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Sat Nav in my car is now 9 years out of date, so trips to Norwich have me driving across fields, but the vast majority of places I want to go haven't moved! Despite all the work being done very few roads have been moved either. I do however have a Garmin unit that I use if I really want navigation and it gets updated regularly. Using the charging cable that came with the unit I get traffic alerts and the option to avoid disruption but in practice Apple Maps or Google Maps will probably give a better indication of where traffic is worst. I think the car's system invents congestion all by itself as it has indicated problems where none exist.

Had I seen that, on a road that I knew well, I would simply have ignored the Sat Nav and carried on as originally intended.

Is this the point at which I admit to having owned GPS devices for a long time, well before navigation systems were common, and the earliest one I have that presented a map simply showed current position and the major roads, no attempt to display a route. I used it in the USA on several occasions and got used to the idea of having a moving map display. Simply knowing where I was going and where I was in relation to my destination was enough to get me there. As a result of this early experience I mainly use my navigation systems as moving maps. I find the ability to see that, for example, the turning I want is the third on the left makes driving more relaxed because I don't need to look for road names. Given that no two councils seem to adopt the same location for street name signs that is a significant advantage.

As I see it the biggest advantage of having the system built in to the car is the large screen but in-car systems are generally less well specified than stand alone units. My built-in system doesn't auto zoom but my Garmin does so the faster I am going the bigger the area I can see on the display. Much better than trying to change the range manually. To my mind the display on a phone is too small to be useful.

10. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Whatever the foibles of the devices, they have got me into and out of trouble more than once. Last year I was travelling back from the Moselle area of Germany when I was diverted off the main A61 by the Bahn Polizei towards Bonn because of a serious crash and supposedly to re-join the A61 about 20 miles north. There the problem started! Have you ever been around Bonn on the bypass? It is 10 miles or so of roadworks, traffic lights and trams, and even driving on the left for several hundred yards! It seems the German early warning system is not all that good.

Conversley, the road system around the Hook of Holland has just been re built with new roads, junctions and old ones ripped up. plus some really amazing roundabouts! It is like Spaghetti junction on steroids! One thing they missed out when finishing it off was road signs telling you which way certain towns were. I had only just updated the satnav before I left home and it performed perfectly.

These roundabouts I mentioned, if you take the wrong lane, you cannot change lanes mid stream because there is a 1 foot high wedge of concrete stopping you!

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

These are the very reasons I have the map display without a route and a destination ready to activate. I neither want nor need a voice prompt to tell me to keep going past every junction on a motorway hence having the sound turned off. We are already overloaded with information on the roads adding more, unnecessary, stimuli isn't really a good idea. I would rather have the information only when I need it.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I use a sitnav - before I leave on new journey, I sit down and look at the map, note the best route and some alternatives, and then go drive there. I have actually got a very good, powerful satnav, but I never use it, 'cos it always tries to take me there by sea, or even worse, just shows a perfectly straight line to my destination. Could be because it's only got admiralty charts in it. Anyway, my car's speedometer is not calibrated in knots, so it's not much use. :D

GeoffR likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have one like that, great for what it does but hasn't a clue what a road is!

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Compared to driving from a port in France to Spain, Italy, Germany etc with a huge printout or a map confusing my wife, I'd take a satnav anytime. My car one is internet connected anyway, or I can connect Waze, Apple maps or Google maps (with sat imagery) to my car through CarPlay so it is ideal.

15. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

A1 perfect answer

I never ever ever rely on a satnav (to be honest I am amazed independent ones are still being sold) as Google maps are free on a phone. I rely on my son using the phone with google maps and HE uses it as an aid.

Rarely has any navigation aid ever done better than 60-70% for me.

The new car coming has it built in :( and Alexa whatever that thing is that I will never ever need.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Shortly after I passed my drivign test I decided I was going to drive to Harrogate to see my brother. This was pre-satnav even though I was 27 by the time I sat my test. I wrote the route out as a series of steps on yellow sticky notes which were attached to the dashboard and removed as I completed each stage. Never could read a map.

17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

My sat nav makes me smile when new road junctions come up and it appears that we are off roading

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Why the sudden new outbreak of 's plurals? Seen three in thread's just today. Whoops, that's four.

19. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

After moving to Devon we went back to Camberley to visit, later going back to Plymouth and ending up in Portsmouth !!!!!!!!!!!

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've done that too - still do occasionally, in fact. While I can map read, not easy when driving.

Once had a very bizarre trip to Devon with my parents - they met me at Oxford, we drove down to dad's sister in Wootton Bassett with them following me as I knew where I was going, then the next day we headed off for Devon in convoy again... they with the map, and someone spare to read it, and me leading! I never did quite work out why, but I memorised the next 3-4 towns and after we'd passed through those I found somewhere to pull up, checked their map, and did it all again. And people wonder why I turned out weird...

Geren likes this.