1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandisk 16gb Extreme Pro CF Capacity (D700)

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by PMurrell, Dec 9, 2019.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Hi,

When I bought the above card I was able to shoot between 900-1k shots. After a couple of years this has gone down to 350+ on the same card even after images have been deleted and card formatted in-camera.

The same card encountered a problem last week and 'CHA' showed up on the camera. I managed to retrieve the images via a recovery software but what showed up was not only the recent images I had taken but a whole batch going back to 2017, even though I had deleted them.

Does formatting on a PC clear the card or is it best to do it in-camera?

Peter

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

in camera- then the card is using file types better for the camera. If you do it in the pc/mac then you risk compatibility
    (that's how I understand it)

PMurrell likes this.
  3. PMurrell

Thanks. Just wondered why the capacity has dropped from 1k+ to just over 300.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It sounds broken. I don't know if PC diagnostics would inform more. Formatting on a PC won't hurt it provided you use the right format (probably FAT 32 ) but you'll need to format again in camera or manually put all the default folder structure in place. An in-camera format does more than format. Another thing, one of my cameras has quick or low level format options for SD cards (not CF cards) other cameras just have "format" so it isn't clear to me that in-camera format always checks read/write ability for all parts of the card.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Capacity depends on several factors, file type, bit depth and compression. I have a couple of D3 bodies, same sensor I think, and I can get 610 uncompressed, 14 bit, raw files on the same card. I always format in the camera and the capacity after formatting hasn't changed however the actual capacity usually increases during use depending on image content, not all uncompressed, 14 bit, raw files are the same size. Also worth considering the image numbering system.

If you use the continuous system, the number of the images increments until it reaches 9,999, even if the card is replaced. When you get to 9,999 a new folder is created and the capacity shown will be that of the new folder (capacity minus those in the old folder). Format the card in the camera and it should show the full capacity.

6. PMurrell

Hi GeoffR,

The damaged card read 'CHA' in the camera but managed to extract images using EaseUS software. Whilst the card was attached to my PC via the reader I formatted (FAT32) then placed card in camera and formatted again.

Card now shows 605 shots (uncompressed 14bit RAW). Not sure what caused the problem but so far so good.

Thanks

Peter

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just curious whether you had use the card for firmware update and not deleted the update? The update file is usually at the file structure root. Wondering if in camera format just clears the DCIM tree.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No, an in camera format would also remove any firmware, well Nikon's instructions on firmware updates include a step to format the card in the camera before each stage.

1. Create a new folder with an appropriate name on your computer's hard drive.

2. Download the Windows (.EXE) or Mac (.DMG) file from the links at the bottom of this page to the folder created in step 1.
    3. Run the downloaded file to create a folder called D3Update which contains the firmware:
      • AD3_0203.bin : the A firmware
      • BD3_0203.bin : the B firmware

4. Connect the camera to the computer via USB cable (be sure that the camera’s USB item in the setup menu is set to Mass Storage ), or use a card reader, and copy the downloaded A firmware to a memory card formatted by the camera and inserted in the camera or card reader.
    5. If the camera was connected to the computer, use standard OS procedures to disconnect the camera from the computer.
    6. Insert the memory card containing the firmware in the camera's memory card slot 1 and turn on the camera.
    7. Select Firmware version from the setup menu and follow the instructions displayed in the monitor to upgrade the firmware.
    8. After the upgrade is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
    9. Format the memory card with the camera and repeat steps 4 through 8 to update B firmware.
    10. Once firmware update is complete, confirm the camera’s firmware version. If you changed the USB setting to perform this update, it may now be changed back to MTP/PTP .
    There is a clear implication that an in camera format will delete the A firmware and, if present, B firmware and this is what happened last time I did a firmware update.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have seen CHA, with a D2, a couple of times and reinserting the card has cleared the message but I did stop using the card. Unfortunately 16GB CF cards are getting expensive but in your position I would replace the card. I think the D700 has only one card slot so you probably carry a spare anyway.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nothing like a sensitive as Allen and Heath mixers! The D700 uses CF cards, not SD, but the problem does exist with CF cards. In this case the card has been in use for a couple of years so it probably isn't a compatibility problem. As I said i would simply replace it.

12. John King

John King Well-Known Member

It may sound a bit simplistic but when you 1st bought the card were you using Jpg on the low quality setting? Have you at any time swapped over the quality settings or even intentionally started using NEF (RAW) the almost 75% reduction is what I would expect when you use RAW and nor JPG. Depending of course if you are on 12bit or 14bit

13. PMurrell

Hi John,

I always shoot RAW.