1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Samsung GX10 test in AP

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hi all

The Samsung GX10 test is finished and will be in AP March 24 (Subscribers March 17th, on sale March 20th). Although it is really a test of this camera I have spent quite some time comparing it with the K10D - could hardly be helped!

Hope you enjoy it.

damien demolder

2. MarkF

MarkF Member

better be a good result as i have ordered one!!
    looking forward to reading the review hope it bares well with low light!
    mark

3. Damien_Demolder

Ohh, sorry Mark....

Don't worry. It's done well.

damien

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Off track, I know, please forgive me but can we please have an early test of the new E-510 as soon as you can get hold of one...please. :)

David.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

...and the new Nikon D40x

6. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I think that a few points will need addressing;

1) K10D has two firmware updates. Will Samsung's software bods be as proactive?
    2) Compatability with actual Pentax Gear. Will what look like identical flashguns be compatible, ie an AF540FGZ on a GX-10? Samsung don't appear to advertise the battery grip, will sticking a Pentax grip on the Samsung camera cause problems?
    3) I understand Lightroom supports the K10D, does it support GX-10? Will GX-10 software interfere with Pentax software?

All I can see is potential conflicts, so I would be happier spending more on the K10D

7. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

Nice review Damien, and thanks for the quote in the mag - made my day!!

Darren

8. Monobod

And me! name in lights, what about that then.

The Samsung looks good also. I'm a silly billy, but I will buy the Pentax, brand loyalty is a funny thing.

Two questions, if I may please,

Do you think the hard halos can be fixed by a firmware update, or is it more of a problem than that?

Do you know if the new data engine really does give better colour or tonal rendition?

David.

9. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

It was a well written and carefully considered review. The only glitch was the statement that the 22 bit processing was unique to the Samsung - this implied that it was not present in the Pentax version.

I think if you read it again, Damien, then you didn't mean to say what was written. It may be that the meaning has been edited out after you wrote it.

10. Damien_Demolder

Thanks all for your questions. Its a shame I couldn't name you all.

Bizarrely I haven't seen the magazine yet (I only work here) but I guess the bit John is referring to is:

Although the cameras are the same in this respect, it is worth pointing out that the Samsung GX10 uses a 22-bit capture sample, which is claimed to create 1024x more data than the usual 12-bit captures found in all other cameras. Both cameras also use a DDR2 double-speed processing unit to pass more information more quickly through the camera to the memory card.

Although I have used all the right words I can see how you might read the opposite of what I meant. Oh, well. With a bit more practice I'll get better.

cheers again

damien

11. keith_w

keith_w Active Member

Having bought the GX-10 a couple of weeks ago I have just asked Samsung about any new release of their firmware. What I would like to be able to tell you is that they said "We currently have no time frame available for our firmware upgrade for the GX10, possibly it could be available in a month or two". However, I am unable to because they also state "The Information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee."

So I guess that, despite Samsung describing the GX-10 as a professional camera, it should be viewed as a high-end consumer item and it's the K10D that is really the professional piece of kit.

The GX-10 is still a very fine camera but just don't expect the same support as you'd get from Pentax.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Don't many business emails get something like what you've quoted added as a standard footer as the email leaves their site? I guess it's added to allow them to take legal action if they wish to do so. Not sure whether this should cause us to assume more or less than what's written.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's actually as a defence mechanism to prevent them being sued.

14. Monobod

The K10D may be a bit more expensive, but I feel safer with PENTAX.

David.

15. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

- as Samsung also make weapons systems, you might well do!!! :rolleyes:

16. JimNastics

JimNastics New Member

Depending on exactly how identical the internals are of the two cameras, I wonder if the Pentax firmware could be used on the Samsung... just a thought ;) Only issue I can think of (supposing it works) is invalidating warranty.

17. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The Samsung menus are different to the Pentax ones, so I would imagine that it would either not work or cause serious problems. You might end up having to return the camera to have the firmware reloaded from scratch.

Why would you want to try this?

18. Monobod

The saying 'Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread' comes to mind. I wouldn't go there if I were you!

I think Pentax and Samsung are going different ways already. I am glad I bought the 'real one'.

19. Jay724

Jay724 New Member

I bought my GX10 back in March. So far it's been quite impressive but having just experienced Samsungs product support with another device I can understand how they can give 3 year warranty!! Just don't expect them to be quick efficient or give a damn!! They are useless, perhaps I should have spent the extra and gone with Pentax. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to Customer Care!!

20. arthurb

arthurb Well-Known Member

It seems to me that you are running up against people used to working in the new consumerist world; if your shiny new Samsung mobile phone fails, throw it away and get another one. That is what you, or the network access plan operator/seller, are expected to do. Lets face it, some mobiles cost as much as some DSLRs, so what are you waiting for.....
    ..... chuck it all away and start again! Remember, its the consumers spending, and borrowing to spend, that keeps this economy growing. So do your bit for the pensioners and go and buy....