1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Samsung GX-10 SBG-D1V battery grip

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Simmo11, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Simmo11

Simmo11 Member

Just to let anyone know, I've just bought the above for £42.95 delivered from askdirect.co.uk
    Cheapest I'd found elsewhere was £119.95.

2. knocker

knocker Member

<newbie question>

What advantage would a battery grip provide? Looking at the description it says "High-capacity" but it seems to only hold the standard SLB-1674 that's in the camera already. Would I just be gaining more places to hold onto the camera.

</newbie question>

I want one by the way :)

Edit: Drats - they are sold out now anyway @ askdirect

3. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

The battery grip holds an extra battery, so you end up with two on the camera. If it's the same as the Pentax, then the standard battery lasts for ages so unless you need the extra grip then it's cheaper to just carry a spare battery in your bag.

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

It also provides another shutter release button to make it easier in 'potrait mode'. But I am doubtful of the benefit V cost and I do not like the extra bulk and weight this adds to the body.

5. knocker

knocker Member

Ah I see, it provides an additional battery. I got an extra battery on its way to me anyway. I reckon askdirect wrongly priced the SBG-D1V, it's more or less a hundred pounds more expensive elsewhere.

At 40 quid I was interested, not at a hundred and forty though!

6. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I'm very doubtful as to the value of a battery grip. I bought one for a Canonn 20D but hardly ever used it. It also has the disadvantage of making the camera look too "professional".

7. offertonhatter

offertonhatter Active Member

I've got the battery grip for my K10D and I never take it off the camera. its perfect for portrait shooting, so much better than having your hand over the top. But thats me. Added the fact that it holds a second battery and spare SD card I find it invaluble.

8. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Fine, but what about the bulk and added weight. Is this a downside? I carry a spare battery and memory cards in my bag, so what is the advantage?

9. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

I started off carrying a spare battery for my K10D, then found the grip on sale for £100 instead of £170, so I bought it.

I now only remove it to change the internal battery, if I know I am out for the day, as I now have 4 batteries for the K10D and change them in pairs.

The grip makes the camera a nice, balanced weight to hold all day, plus it is easier to use for portrait shots, of which about 40-50% of mine are, and finally, when the longer lenses or zooms are used, it balances the camera better.

It does make the camera look more "professional" but is that a bad thing??

Dal