1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sainsbury's Restricting copies of AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, May 27, 2018.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

My local Sainsbury's always had plenty of copies of AP on a Tuesday, but recently, they have been having 2 copies on a Saturday (same as subscribers) and a further 2 copies on the following Tuesday.

On enquiring with the customer service desk, I was told that they could not order any more than they already had; seems to be a Head Office decision that they can only have the number of copies they are allocated, and cannot order more.

So, unless one happens to be in the store early on a Saturday or Tuesday, the two copies they are allocated are invariably already gone.

I cannot understand the logic behind this, as I always thought that all magazines were supplied to shops on a "sale or return" basis, so why are Sainsbury's Head Office restricting the supply?

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

From chatting with my newsagent, it seems that new magazines are usually supplied on SOR, and some continue to be so. Others, when they become mature products, drop the idea.

Plus, it depends on the distributor.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The recent Saturday copies might be due to public holidays - I think 2 copies in the last month came on Friday instead of Saturday. Supermarkets generally seem to have massively reduced the number of magazines that they carry. This started at least a couple of years ago, probably longer. I expect that the labour cost of managing the displays, for something that is for them a very minor line of business, outweighs any earnings they make from sales. Around here WH Smith is the main source of magazines. You can still get AP and New Scientist, Economist and the like from a big Tesco but forget anything on woodworking or birdwatching.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

To save on staffing costs by reducing time spent returning unsold copies? It is possible that some stores are not very good at returning things in a timely manner or filling in forms and the company is trying to minimise losses.

5. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Can I ask which branch of Sainsbury's this was? We'll look into it.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a classic comment from a shop assistant in Birmingham around 1970, when they didn't have what I wanted: "A lot of people ask, but there's no call for it."

Cheers,

R.

William Parker, Geren and Learning like this.
  7. Roy5051

Frome, Somerset branch. Thank you.

8. Roy5051

Not due to Public Holidays, it has been like it for several months now, every week the same.

W H Smith's usually have them in stock, though they are not very quick at putting them on the shelf very early, and to go to Smiths, I have to pay £1 to park in the council car park.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you look at page 52 of the current issue (9 June) you might find a solution to your problem.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Or the chef at our local carvery who insisted that the lamb which was 'selling like hot cakes' wasn't put on the menu very often because nobody liked it.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mrs S's current gripe is with M & S, popping in their café for lunch they never have the tuna mayonnaise filling for the jacket potatoes whether you're there for 12.00 or sidle in at 3.00

12. Roy5051

Quite!

13. Max resist

Max resist Well-Known Member

Sainsburys Buying Policy is Banal.
    Old tins of ww2 rice pudding etc.
    doubt they even sell tapioca or would know what to do with it.
    Half the stuff in there should be condemned to the 1950s.
    When I go in a French village Carrefour the size of a Heathrow Concord hanger
    and view the miles of products produced it just blows Sainsbury and co away to another age.