1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sailing boat moored in mist

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

A quick picture taken on the way to somewhere else of a boat moored on a loch with heavy Scottish mist.
    I liked the isolation of the boat and the minimalist look which I usually don't go in for.
    Would appreciate crit and comments before committing to print.
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

Picture suffering from compression, a larger file can be seen here..........https://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/14473866483/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice and minimalist. Bit off either end for me, but a real wall hanger.

3. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

Think I'd prefer to see more water than sky (it may not have been possible) but a very nice minimal image

4. Vivid Blue

By the way, I got the LPOTY book last week - your image looks great in there.

5. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

stunning photo - The printed photo will look amazing and people will stand looking at it for ages ...

Another league ;o)

6. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

ooo,. nice.

i feel the same as V/B more water than sky.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Another for more water to sky. The image feels a little to high for mine. I'd have cropped some off the sky for a more panoramic aspect ratio. Lovely image though.

8. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Isn't that lovely, nice one that man.

Is it me (prob is) but the boat looks like a toy one. Please don't take that as criticism, just a comment on my brain :rolleyes:

9. Helander

Thanks folks, I've had a play with crops, namely more water and I do like the space, all be it empty space.
    There were small bubbles or something on the surface of the water that has been cropped back in, took 102 spot removals to get rid of them all. What a chore!

[​IMG]

You're spot on Parsen, it does look like a model boat, I thought that immediately when I first saw the picture OOC on the big monitor. It's also been mentioned elsewhere that some thought it looked like a model.

10. Cool Running

Cool Running Member

im no expert, but love the photo :)

Stunning and simple

11. Helander

Cheers pal, glad you like it. I'm pretty chuffed with it. Look good in London printed up for the awards ceremony.
    It was really weird seeing the picture beamed up huge on the side of The National Theatre bigger than a double decker bus. Brought a lump to my throat if I'm honest.

12. Vivid Blue

I bet, are you entering this year? I can imagine 'Onich Light' being a contender.

Liking the new version of this, may still have a bit off the top though

13. 100bw

100bw Member

Inspiring picture.

14. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Lovely

15. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

The second cut works better for me. The first one didn't feel quite comfortable with the bulk of the "objects" towards the bottom of the frame, the second feels much more balanced.

For some reason it reminds me of the cover of Micheal Freeman's The Photographer's Eye, his was far more cluttered but the tones of the sky and water just reminded me of it!

16. Helander

I'll chuck a few in but don't hold much hope but you never know going by some that made the book last year. Some very odd choices.

17. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

If this is the one that suffered due to compression, the original must look 3D! :)

Brilliant image, love it, love the 'more water' one a bit more, if that's possible :)

I have this slight impression of the horizon sloping at bot sides, a bit more on the right - maybe my eyes, may be because the line is more diffuse at the right end, but may be worth checking, as on my small screen it's likely to show more than on a big screen. (I know the boat is level, the end of the mast and the end of its reflection align vertically.)

Gorgeous image. I'm sure it will do well in all competitions you'll enter it, good luck.

18. Helander

Thank you for your kind words. I'll have a look at the level again, thanks.

19. RKelly

RKelly Member

I'd just like to add my admiration for your shot. Very nice and one I would be happy to hang on a wall. If pride is a sin, then go to confession and get ready for a few Hail Marys.