1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX100 Mk III Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by quilkin, Aug 1, 2015.

1. quilkin

quilkin Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum although I have been using cameras on & off for 40+ years, including film SLRs for many years. My most recent purchase, though, was a Panasonic DMC F7Z about7 years ago; one reason for that choice was its viewfinder which I have always wanted but seems less common these days.
    Now, I am interested I something much smaller (i.e. pocketable) and have been looking (on the web) at the Sony RX100 Mk 3. Seems to fit all my requirements but I can't find out if the EVF has a focus control of any sort, as my Panasonic camera has. Without this, the EVF would be useless to me as I would need +2.5 reading glasses to use it (I tried my varifocals on my existing camera but that's no good either, if I don't adjust the focus control).
    Does anyone here have the Sony model? I'm long way from any shop that has one in stock to look at, so will be buying mail order.
    Thanks in advance

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

3. quilkin

quilkin Member

Thanks for the reply. This looks promising but it's for the add-on EVF rather than the built-in one on the RX100-III. Maybe it's the same but I need to be sure.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I'm confused (normal). There's an add-on EVF for the RX100 II but the RX100 III has the EVF built in. It's a pop-up unit activated by a switch on the top of the camera. It has adjustable dioptre correction.

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

My fault. I just looked for a finder.

The user manual for the MK3 is here: http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1410/v1/en/print.pdf

Page 17: Identifying Parts - item 8 is the Diopter-adjustment lever (Move the diopter-adjustment lever until the image is clear in the viewfinder.)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  6. quilkin

quilkin Member

Excellent, thanks for that - and the complete manual, so I can learn to use the camera before I buy it!
    I'm also interested in using the remote control functions from my phone (Sony Xperia Z) - but have read poor reviews of the app ('PlayMemories') - off topic though, so I'll post a new thread about that.