1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Rules of photography' - a budding anthology

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Monobod, May 14, 2007.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Re: The Robert Cappa Rule

You just wear out your knees a bit quicker with all that weight to carry around. :( Unless you have a willing 'Caddy'. :)

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Don't be daft, you don't actually take it out with you!! It sits at home looking nice.

3. Monobod

Yes, it would be a shame to get dust all over a nice new lens, or mud on the bottom of the tripod legs. Heaven forbid that the camera strap with that bright red 'Pentax' logo would get creased or dirty.

Kep it all in doors and only shoot macro pics of your other toys.

;) ;)

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Investment Rules

If you want to speculate and invest for the future, buy an old Leica, don't buy a dSLR.

5. fridge

fridge Well-Known Member

Re: Investment Rules

Christ David they'll never take it out of the bubble wrap, let alone take macro shots of it.

Marc /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

Look up and look down too, but keep a check for lamp posts.

7. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Always shoot with the Sun behind you, (tricky if you're shooting 'Contra Jour') a great way to have your subjects look about 3 seconds from the 'money shot' :eek:

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

My old Leica is already in the future, by 74 years (it was made in 1933) and is too busy taking pictures to be an investment. :rolleyes:

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

You don't mean there's something older than me still in use?
    Cheers (poor ol' chap's getting past it) MIKE

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Re: Investment Rule - don't waste your money on gear, buy a book

I certainly wouldn't want to disagree with the second part of your statement, David; indeed it should be Rule No. 1 (and the only compulsory one amongst the lot! ;)).

However, if its a photograhic investment you want, don't bother with any but the most esoteric of equipment (and given that one auction house has now discontinued photographic gear sales, even that should be treated with caution). No, its either prints, or photobooks (ie books of pictures, not "how to" publications) which should be on the shopping list. Obviously one has to select with great care, and you're likely to get more misses than hits, but a well chosen book can make bigger money than anything else will - including Leicas.

One of the most recent volumes in Parr & Badger's "The Photobook, Vol. 2", a book titled "Endcommercial" was only published a few years ago in 2002, at the £30 mark, yet it already seems to be worth over £500! Check these links (i) Amazon, and (ii) Abebooks. Annoyingly for me, it was a book I considered buying at the time, but never got round to.

11. Monobod

"
    perhaps because you didn't buy it and lots of others also, that is why it is rare today and therefore valuable!

If we had all kept everything we ever bought or bought everything we wanted, there would be no rarety value in anything.

12. TimF

I think not. the vast majority of photobooks these days are only printed in short runs, so if demand exceeds that, and no reprint is forthcoming, the value will skyrocket.

Other titles, such as Cartier-Bresson's "The Decisive Moment" attain a mystique over the years, which results in the same increase in monetary value. Put both together, and there you go!

13. Monobod

So be it then. Not very helpful if one wishes to expand a personal library!

14. TimF

Not all hope is lost. These books aren't going to vanish overnight, but its a good idea to keep one's ear close to the ground. :)

15. TimF

:)

Seriously though, that should be "If your photos aren't good enough, leave some of the gear at home. Restrict your options and find shots with just one or two (preferably) prime focal lengths."

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Try taking the batteries out and seeing how good your inbuilt (brain) metering is.

*Disclaimer - won't work with those newfangled digital things, or many slightlylessnewfangled analogue things*

Make that a new rule - if it needs batteries, bin it. ;)

17. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

Ignore people who say the best way to start out out in photography is with a manual only camera and only a 50mm lens :)

18. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Ignore people that give advice without the justification. ;)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ignore people who tell you to ignore people who tell you... etc /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. alocima

alocima In the Stop Bath

I started with a Zenith slr (no exposure meter) about 30 years ago - . Believe me when you are on a poor boys budget and paying for film and developement you learn fast.