1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Rules of photography' - a budding anthology

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Monobod, May 14, 2007.

1. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

Prevention is better than treatment

always be nice to the judge's labrador!

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Re: Prevention is better than treatment

...and hand the judge their white cane when they leave. :D

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Hang on, David - aren't you a judge? :D

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

'Nuff said........ :rolleyes: :D

5. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Re: The Robert Cappa Rule

Quite right too. I've never seen photography as a competitive past time. Never entered a picture in any competition nor asked for appraisal. One of the major reasons Ive never joined a camera club, they always seem too geared towards competitions.

6. Lounge Lizard

As they say in motor racing "competition improves the breed". Some people (and this includes certain people here) are competent photographers and are happy with their work and have no urge to compete with others. On the other hand, I like competition in much the same way as playing a recreatioal sport to win. It gives you goals to aspire to and standards (although somewhat arbitrary) to measure yourself against.

It happens in many pastimes. Take dancing for example. You can dance to enjoy. Some people get an extra kick out of being the best and to motivate themselves and to prove that to themselves, they compete in dancing events. I also enjoy set subject competitions - it makes me think hard about my interpretation of the subject. In fact, many clubs have a healthy competition structure simply because it encourages members to go out and take pictures and then have them assessed by another person and compared to the work of their peers in the club. It is meant to be constructive, motivational and educational.

It's not everybody's cup of tea. I've just won an event in my club and though I should be pleased for winning, I also feel disappointed that some of the better members in the club didn't take part so the win is a little meaningless to me. :(

7. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

My post wasn't intended to suggest that photography should never be seen as a competitive past time, only that it was not how I saw it. I apologise if the wrong impression was left.

8. Lounge Lizard

No problem Norman. I didn't see it that way anyway and I just wanted to put forward the counter argument.

9. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Ah reminds me of another 'rule':

It's not if you win or loose that counts, it's how you lay the blame.

:)

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

It can, but you might need to be aware of the danger of altering your style to suit whatever prejudices a judge might have, as opposed to impressing your worldview on them.

11. Sally_Morgan

Sally_Morgan Well-Known Member

Guidelines that work for me:

Before I turn my camera off, I make myself put the settings back to the ones I use most commonly (especially ISO and whitebalance).

If I'm using it handheld, I set it to 'shutter priority'. If I'm using a tripod I set it to 'apperture priority'.

12. Geoffers

Geoffers Well-Known Member

One of my chief rules:
    Remember to turn round sometimes.

Most of my togging is done out walking, usually on a circular route. If you don't look to see where you've been occasionally you can miss some cracking views.

13. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Vitae Lampada . . . . :rolleyes:

14. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

True. I know members in our club who wish to know what a judge has marked and commented on in the past so that they can tailor their images for that competition.

15. Lounge Lizard

It's no bad thing if that means that their photography develops. After all, the judge should be there to offer advice on how images may be improved so it's perfectly logical that some people might want to take note and act on it.

16. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Maybe, but that's just pandering to a certain judges proclivities. I personally will only take what I want to and s*d the judge. If he doesn't like it that's up to him.

17. Lounge Lizard

I won't argue with that. You must do whatever you derive most pleasure from (within limits of course! ;) ). Some get pleasure from doing what pleases themselves and some get pleasure from doing what pleases others, including judges. Some manage to do both and they tend to be consistently good all-round photographers.

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

If your photos aren't good enough, buy some more gear!

19. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

It won't make you a better photographer but it will feel like it. ;) ;)

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

That way you're always improving!