1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Rosswood Peeing Tree

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Bipolar, May 12, 2020.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I rode my motorcycle out to Rosswood today. Rosswood is a small community 30 kilometres to the north.
    The Rosswood peeing tree is a oddity on the side of the highway just as you enter Rosswood.
    Many years ago someone drilled a hole in the tree and inserted a length of one inch pipe.
    A good stream of cold clean drinkable water comes out of it.
    A lot of homes in Rosswood did not have electricity or running water at one time and got their drinking water from the peeing tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rosswood General Store
    It was the television and radio station in Terrace in the mid 1960s

[​IMG]

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Amazing. I’m surprised that it worked at all and that it continues to work as the tree grows. Why did they tap just the one tree? Maybe this is a rare survivor?

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

dream_police likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

RovingMike likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Oh bugger. The thing that limits the height of a tree is the degree to which water can reach the top - so I was all ready to believe that there was a useful static head of water at the base of the trunk if only there was a means to access it. Clearly I'm more gullible than I thought.

RovingMike likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well we had a palm tree in our garden in Singapore called I think the Traveler's Palm (Ravenala) that gave water when you pulled the branches down.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That one is listed in many a survival book. Species such as this provide water, and sometimes habitats for small animals such as frogs as well. Best spit the frogs out, as they will either be too crunchy, or one may just end up talking to the bursar :p

RovingMike likes this.