1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Rose

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by monkeys bunny, Jul 7, 2011.

1. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

Im trying to get used to the camera by taking pictures of things around me in the house and garden, but i cant seem to get a picture of a flower that really 'pops', any suggestions? (i actually had to crawl under this one as the flower head was too heavy for the stem haha)
    [​IMG]

2. I'd like to have seen the whole flower. I'm not experienced enough to cirtique but I would have thought having the whole flower or a bit more detail in the photo would make it 'pop'. There doesn't seem to be anything to draw me into the picture.

3. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you are trying to show. Is it an abstract, or a close-up or the whole flower. You also need to decide on what you want in focus and what you want 'creatively' blurred/out of focus.

The pollen on this is nicely in focus on the outer edge but the left hand petals are not. The inner centre needs a bit more fill-in light.

Personally I would go for the inner centre lightened and also with a tight crop but you would then need to get the stamen etc sharp too.

HTH

(but remember - it's only my opinion)

4. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

Thank you. i didnt really want to get the whole flower in, i dont have an editing thing on the compter, in fact my computer hardly manages to run at all. I have got it on the free picasa thing from Google but you cant really do a great deal on there. My pictures are just as they are taken, no editing.

I see what you mean and could have done with getting the middle more in focus really

thank you

5. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

Partially agree with first reply. In order for it to POP generally speaking it has to contrast against something, i.e. dark background, green foliage etc...
    Also for me with flowers pick the BEST you can find, droopy ageing flowers do not look good unless you are trying to bring that across for mood. (I appreciate you are just doing test shots though).