1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Rose

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by The Barbarian, Jan 16, 2020.

1. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Member

[​IMG]

Dan S likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s rather sad! The white background of the iPad I’m looking with does it no favours and makes the lower left triangle and shadows underneath look rather murky. Printed, with a dark mount and well lit, I think it would be effective.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

What's the surfact that this is on? In some areas it is reflecting back more light than the rose is and I'm finding the surface texture/dust marks very distracting. There's also a small triangle of something creeping into the top left corner which really has no excuse for being there. I'm going to guess that this was hand held because the sharpest bits of the rose don't seem to be all *that* sharp. If you don't have a tripod, at least try to find something you can balance the camera on - a stool or even a suitcase if you have one handy can work well. I like the murkiness and I like where the flower head is in the frame. I think I'd cut off the stalk though.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Might be better in mono.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You have the edge of the table top left and I don't think the lighting angle from about 2 o'clock is best. 4 o'clock probably better. There are a few hotspots in the lighter areas that detract. Table is rather messy and I think it needs to be more neutral and less a part of the pic. Worth having more stabs at.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

very depressing.....

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

In spite of everything mentioned above, mainly the background, there is something about it I like.

Geren and Catriona like this.
  8. RovingMike

Certainly and table-top is far more difficult than people think. With everything under your control, the demands are somehow higher.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

rather like the Victorians were rather partial to shots of dead game and such like.

10. RovingMike

Well with 2 min exposure times, they couldn't have it flapping about too much ;)

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

So do I.

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The lighting and colours remind me of an old oil painting - I would be tempted to tone down the colour intensity of the rose and see if you prefer the result.

13. RovingMike

It certainly makes it an "authentic" shot and not a studio setup.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. There's something still beautiful about a dead/dying flower and the darkness suits it. Just needs tidying up.

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just needs a table that isn't so reflective - get the sander out!:p

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't want to not comment and give you the impression I haven't seen this. I like the picture, but echo pretty much what everyone's said, the table and bright left corner detract from what could have been a really nice study.