1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolleiflex Automat Model 3

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Simon Leung, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

Hello,

My current camera is the Rolleiflex Automat Model 3 with the Schneider-Kreuznach 75mm f3.5 Xenar lens, manufactured between Oct.1945 - Sept.1949.

It's not well sought after, as the Rolleiflex 2.8 A thru F series of TLRs, which utilizes the 80mm Planar lens.

However, being the affordable brethren, Model 3 is more compact in size, it uses Bay-1 filters, lens hood and it's lighter weight than the 2.8F.

Stop down the lens to either f8 or f11, the image quality can easily match the 2.8 Planar.

I tried to upload the image of my camera from my Samsung A20 phone, but couldn't.

Simon

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The main advantage of the f2.8 lens was that you could see your depth of field provided you exposed only at f2.8. :D

I've never used any of the Automats but I have used both the 'T' and the Magic with their f3.5 lenses, which were capable of very acceptable results. My daughter seems to have prefered the Magic...

Kirsten with Rollie Magic.jpg

Simon Leung likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Simon welcome to the forum.

There are size limits for upload and there are some restrictions also on new members as a guard against robots. Resize the photo to 800 pixels on the long side then with minimum compression it should be about 300 kb and fit onto the page without the browser mangling it. Either use the upload a file process or put it on a photo-service that supports bulletin board code (BBC) and post a link. Fuller explanation in Appraisals.

Simon Leung likes this.
  4. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

Thank you, Andrew for sharing your passion with Rolleiflexes and thank you, PeteRob for the advice about uploading.

Simon