1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rokinon/Samyang etc 12mm f2 for Sony E

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Wheelu, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

After much procrastination I've just bought one of these for my NEX 6.

First impressions very favourable, a solid, well constructed and finished lump, far better engineered than my Sigma 19mm. The lens hood clips securely into place, for example, the focus is smooth but with just the right resistance for manual use. It also looks great through the EVF, finding focus is no problem. I've not been able to view images on a screen as yet, but they do appear to pop in the amplified EVF view.

So far so good, I'll post a review when I have rather more experience of the lens in use.

Just a reminder for those perhaps not aware, this is a manual focus lens without image stabilization, but IQ rules OK?

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Well that brought about a torrent of interested replies!

Fear not here is the promised, albeit, mini, review.

3. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member

I bought the same lens for Astro photography after reading lots of favourable reviews, I have not a lot of use up here in Scotland, to much cloud '-) but the results thus far are encouraging, one thing to note is the infinity mark doesn't mark infinity,my version of the lens is just before the hard stop. Quite fancy the new 24mm F1.4 in the E mount.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Yes mine focuses past infinity too, an inconvenience rather than a deal breaker.I have my eyes on the 21mm; too new for there to be lots of reviews at present. I am feeling the need for an upgrade from the Sigma 19mm, which is nicely sharp in the centre, but the edges are pretty poor. I'd prefer a 20 mm, rather than a 21, but what's 1 mm between friends!

5. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member

I use my Sigma 19mm the most of all my lenses, it's small light and ideal for landscape while I'm hillwalking, I have never really notice an issue with the corner sharpness, usually have it set at F5.6, and I love the contrast :cool:

6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Interesting, I wonder if I have a bad copy of the Sigma. It is very sharp and contrasty mid frame, but the edges leave much to be desired.

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I've just updated my review of the Rokinon 12 mm to include a look at chromatic aberration and a mention of the new lens profiles in Lightroom that include this lens.

8. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update

I have Lightrom 5, so no profile for me until I upgrade, was the distortion and vignetting improvement quite noticeable ? i tend to move the defringe slider to around 7 which seems to clean up the CA.

9. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded from LR4 to 6, largely to ensure that I had access to the latest raw converters. Adobe are making it increasingly difficult to upgrade, trying to push users towards their leasing scheme, but it's still possible. The web site is most unhelpful in this regard, but I managed to contact a human via their chat facility, and that person explained how to do it.

10. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't notice your question about the LR profile. The vignetting adjustment is quite dramatic (but easily done manually) the distortion is less so (in both regards).

11. I use a Samyang 14mm lens and it can suffer from the same issue you mention about corner sharpness. I notice especially with my lens that if it is even slightly (and i mean even by a fraction) out of focus or not aimed correctly it can make the corners look horrible. I have learnt to use the lens without any corner sharpness issues by practising to aim the frame pretty much center or higher if doing astrophotography with minimal trails, works for me anyway.

I thought initially it was a lens issue and was going to send it back for another but stuck with it for a couple more days and it's fine. There will be a slight distortion on the corners some of the time and i understand that you more or less get this with most lenses with such a wide angle. Just use a lens profile in LR/PS and make any fine adjustments thereafter.

As for CA, it seems to handle it well. Hope you have plenty of fun with your lens anyway.

12. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm still learning how to use this lens properly and have found that some shots have unusably bad edges while others are superb. It could well be a focusing issue. I need to retake some of my problem images and experiment with the focus.